SUT coaches

I worked at S.U.T. (National Travel) from 1977 to 1980 this was a great time to drive coaches around Sheffield and also the rest of the UK , I met many good friends during this period, sadly most have now passed on.. Some of the names I Remember at this time.. Jack Hancock, Joe Booker, Ian Hird, Harold White, Barry Nash, John Baker, Dave Hancock, Tony Pitts, Keith Wilson, Barry Furniss, Robin Littlewood, Derrick Tye and Terry Donno was the Driving Instructor, we operated many big contracts in the area including The Nurse's, British Steel, British Rail, and many of the local Colliery's plus the Football clubs Blades, Wednesday, Worksop Town, Frickley.. along with the supporters clubs of these teams.. I later became a tour driver for the company based at Weston-Super-Mare for the summers of 1978 and 1979..I left in 1980 to get married, since 1980 i have worked as a freelance driver working for around 20 coach operators across the UK and Europe.. but will never forget my time at Sheffield
did you ever come across a driver called Ronnie bird? I believe he worked for them up until mid 80s when he retired

• 1 year later...
Dont know what era we are speaking about here, was this in the fifties or sixties? Its a bit difficult trying to remember some of the older liveries of some of the coach companies but it definately wasn't SUT with names like you mention. I think it might have been Littlewoods coaches as they were in a bergundy and silver livery with names like Duchess of Torquay, Duchess of Newquay etc. Hope this is of some help.

Those were Littlewood's, someone told me they only had two, is that right?

• 10 months later...

Just a quick note to say that members of my family and I went on several tours organised by Sheffield United Tours. This was during the 1950's. I still have my passport ( what an awful photo) and somewhere a red plastic passport wallet. S I have some dates.

Will look by again soon.

There's been a few requests for coach names here, so I will start with the Elizabethan class. No231- Drake, No232- Raleigh, No233- Hawkins, No234- Frobisher, No235- Grenville, No236- Shakespear, No237- Bacon, No238- Marlowe, No239- Gresham, No240 - Leicester, No241- John Norris, No242- Essex, No243- Knollys, No244- Cecil, No245- Burghley, No 246- Spencer, No247- Walsingham, No248- Sidney, No249- Hatton, No250- Effingham, No251- Seymore. No252- Gilbert. When I get chance, I will post the "Gay" class, "Continental" class and "Panorama" class names if anyone is interested. hope this is of some interest.

Dont know what era we are speaking about here, was this in the fifties or sixties? Its a bit difficult trying to remember some of the older liveries of some of the coach companies but it definately wasn't SUT with names like you mention. I think it might have been Littlewoods coaches as they were in a bergundy and silver livery with names like Duchess of Torquay, Duchess of Newquay etc. Hope this is of some help.

Yes I think Littlewood's only had two coaches, they garaged them at a place at Petre Street/Garter Street in Pitsmoor. I believe at one time one of the coaches was called ' Empress of ??'

Littlewood had around five coaches at any one time and replaced these after around three to four years. Names included Countess of Torquay, Queen of Torquay, Baroness of Torquay, Queen of Weymouth, Queen of Newquay, Torbay Princess and Scottish Queen. These names appeared on replacement coaches when the older coaches were sold. The livery was burgundy and silver grey. The company was taken over in the mid eighties by Skills of Nottingham.

Littlewood had around five coaches at any one time and replaced these after around three to four years. Names included Countess of Torquay, Queen of Torquay, Baroness of Torquay, Queen of Weymouth, Queen of Newquay, Torbay Princess and Scottish Queen. These names appeared on replacement coaches when the older coaches were sold. The livery was burgundy and silver grey. The company was taken over in the mid eighties by Skills of Nottingham.

Thank you SUTman, however the titles of the coaches all have 'Devonion' names , but 'Scottish Queen'..??

Thank you SUTman, however the titles of the coaches all have 'Devonion' names , but 'Scottish Queen'..??

Not strictly speaking stpetre ... Newquay is in Cornwall, Weymouth in Dorset and Torquay in Devon ... the only one missing is a coach taking the name of a Somerset resort ... but I suppose if the west country was where they plied their trade it makes sense.