SUT coaches

SUT became National Travel east. They continued to operate until possibly the late 70s early 80s. The business ended up as part of West Riding and was used to run normal service buses as Sheffield & District . The depot ended up as Sheafline after it had been bought out by SYT (First South Yorkshires a Mainline predessor) For a limited period during the late 80's early 90's buses were run from the depot under the SUT banner .

The fleet name Sheffield Untied Tours is now onwed I believe by Wallace Arnold , which is of course now part of Shearings

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone remember them.

The offices used to be in Pond Street, near the old rent place.

Anyone know any names of the old drivers of the coaches?

My late father Walt Fothergill worked for the SUT before that it was UMS.

I also knew Pete Crofts

• 10 months later...

I worked in the offices during the school holidays of 1955, whilst waiting for my GCE results. They were situated somewhere at the bottom of Eastbank Road I think. Would that have been Charlotte Road?

The only driver I remember now is Rodney Garside, a larger than life character with a magnificent beard. I think he worked mainly on continental tours. He turned up again later in my life as my driving instructor

SUT used to run trips to various racecourses in the 70`s. The missus and I used to go to many meetings with them, although they cancelled a few trips when not enough tickets had been sold. However, when that happened they would contact Riley`s of Rotherham to find out if they were running a trip. Great days, especially for us without transport.:hihi:

I remember the name of the driver, Colin Parsons, who in the 40's drove the Wednesday team coach. He was known as 'Big Col' and sadly he was the driver when the Owls' team coach crashed on the A1 coming back from Wednesday's Boxing Day fixture at Highbury in 1960 - an incident I don't really want to dwell on.

I remember back in the 70's going with the SUT Tours on angling trips, you used to depart from the semi circular building that was in front /adjacent of the Queens head pub ( I think that was the name of the pub) in Pond Street bus station.There used to be, what I thought a very frail old fellow (No idea of his name) running the show & shouting out the destinations, IE Tattershall bridge,Sibsey trader & a whole other variety of locations en route.I was only very young then & on my own but a period of no fear & all seemed very friendly, all had one cause in mind ,course fish & no one ever got water licked because they would fib about their catches!!! Aye the one that got away?.I think the legenday Ivan marks once participated but it was a long time ago.

I just watch my GOLD FISH now

I remember back in the 70's going with the SUT Tours on angling trips, you used to depart from the semi circular building that was in front /adjacent of the Queens head pub ( I think that was the name of the pub) in Pond Street bus station.There used to be, what I thought a very frail old fellow (No idea of his name) running the show & shouting out the destinations, IE Tattershall bridge,Sibsey trader & a whole other variety of locations en route.I was only very young then & on my own but a period of no fear & all seemed very friendly, all had one cause in mind ,course fish & no one ever got water licked because they would fib about their catches!!! Aye the one that got away?.I think the legenday Ivan marks once participated but it was a long time ago.

I just watch my GOLD FISH now

I remember these angling excursions at weekends so well, and the old guy who would shout out the venue (Tattershall Bridge, Chapel Hill, Hubberts Bridge, Wyberton, Malcolm Arms at Antons Gowt, then up the Trader and would park up at Bridge Farm (incidently the coach stop sign is still there, even though i would say these excursion might have stopped around the early 80s), as you say very friendly with no fear (we were at school) and plenty of fishing tips from the old guys on the way down. Happy Days.

When I left school in the late 50s, S U T were just about the only private coach firm in Sheffield. They took us to Belgium on a school trip in 1956, the driver was called uncle Simm by us kids, presumably that was his surname, I well remember the coach being slung aboard the ferry by a crane, this was before roll on roll off ferries. We thought it was really posh, because it had a polished wood bulkhead with a clock set in it, I believe the coaches were A E Cs.

I thought Carnells were the first private coaches in Sheffield.