SUT coaches

Once went to Birmingham City with SUT,flat tyre this side of Chesterfield, caoch broke down after Chesterfield,ended up getting there just after kick off,in at the first turnstyle and ended up the terrace,this turned out to be where their boys were! I kept very quiet.

Wonder if any one remembers my dad..Jim Rogerson and his mates who were also drivers for sut Jack Stones and Jimmy Kerr,,,they worked there in the 50/60s....my dad did continental tours and also one of his regular ones was to the isle of skye...he loved it:)

are you any relation to ian rogerson?lives at wadsley bridge.

I dont personally dont remember your dad, but I certainally know of him. Jack Stones also ran the Lyceum Hotel on Pond Hill next to the old SUT/Kitson garage. Jimmy Kerr is also known to me. He used to do Scottish tours. How about Arnie Wilson, Bert Oxley, Frank Carr, Jack Hancock all who were couriers with the company.

A F Hancock was one of the first Directors of SUT although many individual companys actually made up SUT.

I wonder if "Uncle" Simm was one of the two brothers who also had their own companys running coaches in Sheffield in the fifties and sixties. I can remember E. H. Simm and I think the other was J H Simm but I'm not sure what actually happened to either of these two companies. Around this time were Fantoms Coaches whose garage was in Queens Road where the carwash is now, the last coach they had as I remember was a Bedford with a Duple Vega body, the one where the radiator grill resembled a butterfly. There was off cause Jeffcocks, Hirst and Sweeting, Littlewoods (again became two companies) similar liveries, only the initials told the difference between the two company's. There were other companys also but they have slipped the memory for the time being. Carnells came along later with some flashy equipment but I think they went to the wall. Hagues had some nice tackle but gave up touring and stuck to road haulage.

Littlewoods Tours consisted of two brothers each with their own coaches although they were coloured the same maroon and silver grey

One brother was from up burngreave call Ceil G Littlewood and the other was from brinsworth called Fredrick N Littlewood.

All ther coaches had trumpets on and would play " A hunting we wiil GO "

they used to run an overnight service to Torquay setting off from the carpark where they later built the students Union for Hallam

Any one remebere them the brothers used to actually drive the coachs in the 50's

My neighbour Colin Parsons (RIP) was a driver for SUT for years. In the summer he was driving on the Continent (before most people went abroad for holidays) Every Saturday in the winter he was the driver for the Wednesday coach. As a young boy I used to listen to his travel tales.

Regarding uncle Sim. One could have been Eric.H.Sim who as you say was based at Queens garage at Queens Road or John.H.Sim who was based on Bocking Lane with his garage at one time being on Shalesmoor. He also traded as Bradway coaches. There was also a Billy Sim who worked at SUT and Percy Sim. I personnaly think that uncle Sim would have been Sim Rieuwerts, a dutchman who was a courier at SUT of long standing.

E. Sim was taken over by Carnell in 1975-Carnell himself ceased trading in 1986. Ron Hague coaches was taken over by Gordons of Rotherham.Cecil Littlewood was taken over by Skills of Nottingham in December 1983. Cecil had started in buisness coaching in 1947 when he acquired the buisness of Beckett. SUT was made up of 16 companies before they themselves became part of National travel North East in the 1970's.They had garages at Charlotte Road which was the main one and head office, the old Kitson garage at 21 Pond Hill (just opposite the old rent place), Balaclava Road (Jeffcoks), Holme Lane(Hirst and Sweeting), Bradwell(Pashleys) and Langsett Road (Whitelys). Incidently, Littlewoods livery was Plum and Silver.

I dont personally dont remember your dad, but I certainally know of him. Jack Stones also ran the Lyceum Hotel on Pond Hill next to the old SUT/Kitson garage. Jimmy Kerr is also known to me. He used to do Scottish tours. How about Arnie Wilson, Bert Oxley, Frank Carr, Jack Hancock all who were couriers with the company.

Hi there the only name i know from those is Jack Hancock and he is still alive and kicking...Jimmy Kerr used to come to his sunday dinner when my parents owned the Lycum Hotel on Langsett Rd...and Jack Stones was one of my dads best mates..he and his wife mary were always at ours :)just a thought ..can you remember Mary Justice ??she worked in the sheffield office ..come to think of it not sure if she would have been called Justice then she mite have still had her maiden name..an i cant think of that of hand

Edited by kazads53
to add something

I have just read a piece in here about the history of the SUT. In one piece it refers to the 1st Montreaux Coach Rally. My late father Walter Fothergill was the driver who of the coach that was judged the best coach in the rally. My father toured Switzerland and the French Riviera with the SUT during the late 40s/50s. Im almost certain Frank Carr was there at the same time. Another name I remember was a Mr Goodfellow (think he was a manager)