People Who Don't Pick Up After Their Dogs

Guest makapaka

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, JamesR123 said:

Is it worse to put the poo in a plastic bag and thus contribute to ruining the planet?  

When I walk my dog I only pick up the poo if it is somewhere likely to be trodden in.

Otherwise I leave it.

Pick it up with something else then - newspaper - whatever.

Your dog.

5 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Pick it up with something else then - newspaper - whatever.

Your dog.

I prefer not to put many into the hands of the printed media. All owned by the same selfish, self interested, group of people.

When the nights start to get darker I see more dog poo and plastic bags full of dog poo on the ground. How environmental friendly are these plastic dog waste bags. If they are plastic how do they decompose when they go to landfill?  How many million are sent to landfill each year.

Edited by hauxwell

Just now, hauxwell said:

When the nights start to get darker I see more dog poo and plastic bags full of dog poo on the ground. How environmental friendly are these plastic dog waste bags. If they are plastic how do they decompose when they go to landfill?  

If they go into landfill they don't decompose, however Sheffield burns 30% of its waste last time I looked.

I have some "biodegradable" cat poo bags but seeing as I wasn't the one who bought them, and seeing as I work in the waste sector I am dubious about their claims.

Some biodegradable plastic bags are available but they require sunlight to biodegrade, which of course they won't get in landfill.

What we need is compostable bags.....you can get them, they are made out of potato starch. Some of my magazines I subscribe to now come in potato starch bags.

26 minutes ago, taxman said:

If they go into landfill they don't decompose, however Sheffield burns 30% of its waste last time I looked.

I have some "biodegradable" cat poo bags but seeing as I wasn't the one who bought them, and seeing as I work in the waste sector I am dubious about their claims.

Some biodegradable plastic bags are available but they require sunlight to biodegrade, which of course they won't get in landfill.

What we need is compostable bags.....you can get them, they are made out of potato starch. Some of my magazines I subscribe to now come in potato starch bags.

Thanks for the information, I was curious what happens to these bags at landfill over a period of time if they don’t compose. I had visions of them exploding.

Cuttting my overgrown lawn the other day and halfway down stepped onto some "hidden" dog crap. Stepping back in revulsion I stepped into an even bigger pile. Disgusting, I don't know why folk have dogs to be honest.

16 hours ago, Cyclone said:

How has someone else's dog left a load on your lawn?

Probably got through a hedge onto the  lawn, or an open gate.  Also, some modern houses have covenants that specify open plan frontages, apart from chain-link.