Info on post-war housing wanted

hello there!!I was just wondering if anyone had any memories they could share with me that would help with my dissertation!i would be very greatful!i am studying post war houisng from 1945- 1952, and i am looking for any info or memories.

to do with communities,housing conditions,new houses,prefabs anything really!!all would be very interesting!!!thanks!!!!!!!!

• 7 months later...

The era that you are speaking of gave rise to vast numbers of Council houses being built,the majority of which had galvanised steel window frames.

Many were built on parts of The Manor area around Mather Anenue and surrounding streets,also Bowden Wood on the opposite side of Prince of Wales Road.

There were many more at Stradbroke off Smelter Wood Crescent.Most of these were similar two and three bed semis,and a few scattered flats.

Lots of them were built by Ackroyd and Abbott Sheffield's local builders.

As a child I lived in a council house on the east side of Sheffield - can well remember the metal window frames - must have been to do with shortage of wood. My bedroom floor didn't have a single complete plank in it - it was a patchwork of lots of small bits - used to creak alarmingly when you walked across it. We had concrete skirting boards - no wood for those - but we did have wooden banisters. However, some friends of ours who lived on the Ballifield estate had concrete banisters too.

After the war, there was apparently a stage when builders were only allowed to build for the council and there are some roads in Darnall/Handsworth area which were partly built when war began and have a mixture of pre-war private housing and post-war council.

We moved into a new council house in 1947,on Wordsworth Ave.

There was a firplace /oven in the living room.[coal fired]

In the kitchen was a gas boiler for the laundry and a gas outlet for a ring. this was a one ring burner

We later had a gas stove which I think was provided by the council because I cannot imagine my mother having the money to buy one.

In the living room was a picture mould about 18" down from the ceiling.

The doors were ply wood panels.

The coal house was at the back door.

Bathroom was on the ground floor next to the front door.

All the houses were two floors,built in 2's 4's & 6's.

There was a front and back garden ,with no provision for a garage.

If missdizzy wants to P.M me with any particular question I will do my best to provide an answer.

Darnalldavid, My first job was with Ackroyd&Abbot in 1954

Archived