Getting Fit In 2020

Walking has been my hobby for most of my life so it was easy for me to use the spare time I had in lockdown enjoying some local walks. I've noticed many other people doing the same and I wondered if we will look back on 2020 as the year we became more active and fitter. It would be nice to think that despite all the problems and hardship we've suffered this year some good has come out of it. 

Edited by Rollypolly
Spelling

Walking is not a hobby for me it's a neccessity, we have 2 dogs.  I have decided that during lockdown we won't be eating take-aways.  We only ever have them about 2 times a month.  I reasoned that if I can't safely go to a book shop and buy a book then take-aways are much more riskier as you take the order from them and they have also handled each carton/box etc inside.

Instead I am making kebabs or Southern fried chicken which I'm sure is much healthier for my bank account and for our health.

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

I went to the sports cener to do a fitness class 10 days ago, closed for a month now. I do lots of walking, but its great to do something more.

According to my GP walking is not vigorous enough.

I think it would be vigorous enough if you included some hills and walk up them at a good speed.

On 09/11/2020 at 22:22, El Cid said:

I went to the sports cener to do a fitness class 10 days ago, closed for a month now. I do lots of walking, but its great to do something more.

According to my GP walking is not vigorous enough.

I think GPs ought to know better than to say something like that. I run nearly every day but believe ALL exercise should be encouraged. It is comments like that that put many people off doing any exercise at all as they end up thinking that moderate exercise like walking isn’t worthwhile so they may as well not bother doing anything. Walking has lots of health benefits and is is very underrated as a form of exercise.
I would recommend the Couch to 5k to anyone who does want to take more vigorous exercise though. To me the joy of running is getting outside in all weathers and seeing the changing seasons.

Edited by redruby

Hi Red ruby, I couldn't agree more! I find walking both mentally and physically uplifting. As you rightly say all exercise should be encouraged. Both me and my o/h have suffered serious illnesses but have continued walking throughout. I know it's not everyone's choice of exercise but it's free, no special equipment required and can be done any time.

16 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

Hi Red ruby, I couldn't agree more! I find walking both mentally and physically uplifting. As you rightly say all exercise should be encouraged. Both me and my o/h have suffered serious illnesses but have continued walking throughout. I know it's not everyone's choice of exercise but it's free, no special equipment required and can be done any time.

Absolutely, walking is great! I think exercising outdoors is especially helpful for mental health as well as the physical benefits. But as I said before ALL the exercise should be encouraged and we all should find some exercise which we enjoy and fits into our lifestyle.

Walking is great. You can start off at a stroll and as you get fitter increase the speed to a powerwalk! It's certainly good for body and soul. Invest in some good waterproofs and don't let the weather stop you. To quote Billy Connolly " there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!"☺️