Pay Per Mile Road Usage

a quick search suggests that VED only collects around £6billion

the majority of the predicted £40billion short-fall must be from fuel-duty ?

something's got to give...  So, road pricing?  sure, ok.

an annual check on your mileage while your car is in for it's MOT would be a simple way to do it.

Or a smart black-box, charged to your bank account just like a mobile phone would give the real benefit of nudging people to avoid driving at peak times.

(but possibly also nudging people to avoid main roads, making rat-running even worse...)

(but possibly also nudging people to stop driving like pillocks - the black box could/should also be linked to your insurance)

all things considered, it's a good idea, get on with it.

i assume that some people will hate it, i would ask them to come up with another way of raising £40billion...

It appears to being thought about as electrical vehicle increase in numbers and they don't pay VED (or fuel tax as such).

It will be tricky as the country seemed to hit the laffer curve  on fuel tax a few years ago, hence no real rise in years. Adding another tax on top of that will bring that back into play.

It is an idea that gets mooted every few years and hasn't happened yet.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-16/motorists-could-be-charged-to-use-uk-roads-as-rishi-sunak-looks-to-fill-40-billion-tax-hole

7 hours ago, rudds1 said:

Government are thinking off introducing national scheme to charge motorist  to use the road system as the government is facing a £40billion short fall.  Would you be in favour of such a scheme if 5hey were to scrap ved 

Something in which those that travel more, pay more, nothing wrong with that.

They could also factor in the size/weight of the vehicle, maybe even factor in the CO2 output. It does seem senible to raise money via VED too.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Something in which those that travel more, pay more, nothing wrong with that.

They could also factor in the size/weight of the vehicle, maybe even factor in the CO2 output. It does seem senible to raise money via VED too.

Except for those that work and travel for work, including NHS workers like community nurses.

Time to start taxing electric vehicles. Contrary to popular belief they still pollute. Displaced emissions are still emissions. 

And just wait into the next decade when thousands of Li-Ion batteries are heading for landfill as not all of it is recyclables.

No, l wouldn't be in favour of it.

As with all these things, we will become the cash cows useful only for bailing the government out.

People are  hard strapped enough.

People need cars  because public transport is rubbish and expensive. It's getting harder and harder to live in this country.

How long before they start charging us for the air we breathe?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

No, l wouldn't be in favour of it.

As with all these things, we will become the cash cows useful only for bailing the government out.

People are  hard strapped enough.

People need cars  because public transport is rubbish and expensive. It's getting harder and harder to live in this country.

How long before they start charging us for the air we breathe?

There is a beautiful irony about someone who can advocate unfettered car use on one hand, and invoke the air we breathe as an inalienable right on the other.

I love driving, but I love breathing more.

42 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

There is a beautiful irony about someone who can advocate unfettered car use on one hand, and invoke the air we breathe as an inalienable right on the other.

I love driving, but I love breathing more.

Don't kid yourself this is about anything more about raiding our pockets for cash. The government only cares about the environment when it suits them. It's all about generating money.

Just like the current system of extortionate road fines are all about raising cash, nothing to do with  road safety. Even the police have admitted that. 

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Don't kid yourself this is about anything more about raiding our pockets for cash. The government only cares about the environment when it suits them. It's all about generating money.

Just like the current system of extortionate road fines are all about raising cash, nothing to do with  road safety. Even the police have admitted that. 

I’m not sure why you think it is anything other than a revenue raising exercise.  Nobody has suggested that, except you, of course.