Pay Per Mile Road Usage

8 hours ago, Pettytom said:

We’ve all slipped over the limit, but speeding in built up areas is the worst kind of speeding really. I’d much rather see someone doing 90 on a motorway than 35 in a 30.

Most accidents involving serious injuries happen in 30 zones.

But wouldn`t an accident with other vehicles occurring at 90mph on a motorway be potential  carnage?

1 hour ago, Janus said:

But wouldn`t an accident with other vehicles occurring at 90mph on a motorway be potential  carnage?

You make a good point. Maybe I should have said 80.

The important thing is that there are considerably more hazards in town. Those hazards are often vulnerable people, or animals. They are also pretty unpredictable.

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

£100 speeding fine for 34 mph on a Sunday afternoon when the roads were empty.

£100 added to the yearly cost of running a car, £2,000 per year on running their car – not including the cost of the car itself.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Exactly the same here Anna, don't start me off..  I was livid, fuming, 

Still am..

And that was 6yrs ago.

You're fuming because you were caught speeding 6 years ago?

Were you over the speed limit?

Back on topic, why not increase the tax on fuel rather another new system, pushing people to drive less, buy more efficient cars.

If there are legitimate exceptions, then they can be administered accordingly.

Get rid of VED and make savings there also by reducing admin and systems maintenance costs.

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

Gosh it must be great to be perfect.

It's certainly great to be adult enough to accept that you made a mistake through carelessness, and that there will be consequences, such as a fine or an opportunity to see what the consequences of your actions on others might have been.

Or you can pretend you have been hard done by.

15 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

You're fuming because you were caught speeding 6 years ago?

Were you over the speed limit?

Back on topic, why not increase the tax on fuel rather another new system, pushing people to drive less, buy more efficient cars.

If there are legitimate exceptions, then they can be administered accordingly.

Get rid of VED and make savings there also by reducing admin and systems maintenance costs.

It's certainly great to be adult enough to accept that you made a mistake through carelessness, and that there will be consequences, such as a fine or an opportunity to see what the consequences of your actions on others might have been.

Or you can pretend you have been hard done by.

As I mentioned on page 1, the problem with increasing tax on fuel is that it actually generates less income. The government discovered that in about 2010 or so, hence fuel duty has not been increased for ages.

It's a principle called the Laffer curve - basically, you get to a point where the tax on a product makes it so expensive to buy that people buy less of it, thus actually generating less tax income.

It would also have a secondary effect of making everything in the shops more expensive as most things are shipped by lorry, causing inflationary pressure.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

because we're moving towards cars that don't use fuel.

(or at least, not in a way that lends itself readily to taxation)

51 minutes ago, ads36 said:

because we're moving towards cars that don't use fuel.

(or at least, not in a way that lends itself readily to taxation)

Fair comment. I just don't believe that any new system involving a technological solution would be any more than another of method by which the government transfers public money into the private hands of whichever party doner implements the scheme for little return.

Exhibit A - Track and Trace app.