No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

37 minutes ago, fools said:

why, I thought charging was to stop pollution, or was that last week

We have not stopped pollution. we are trying to minimise it and charging is one way of doing this.  banning is another way.

I understand a lot of people (and celebrities) have returned their electric cars and gone back to petrol because the infrastructure simply isn't ready.

However I saw an item on TV about an electric car charged entirely by solar panels on the car's roof.

Maybe that's the way forward.

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I understand a lot of people (and celebrities) have returned their electric cars and gone back to petrol because the infrastructure simply isn't ready.

However I saw an item on TV about an electric car charged entirely by solar panels on the car's roof.

no amount of infrastructure will remove the need to waste many hours a week faffing about waiting for a battery to charge

then there's the fires .., and the cost, and the service charges, and the ugly infrastructure everywhere

Edited by fools

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Do wake up   -   we already know that but we are discussing what's to replace it as petrol and diesel cars reduce, whilst electric vehicles and, maybe Hydrogen vehicles increase.

Taxation receipts will obviously go down as petrol & diesel sales shrink but it will still be wise to charge those who do the most mileage, the most tax.

It might be that those who do the highest mileages are professional drivers, commercial vehicles etc, in which case they will pass the charges onto you and I.

• Like 1

Not interested in what YOU would say because you are one of those causing the problems.

That makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sadly impossible Anna. The amount of power you'd get out of an entire car being covered in solar panels would be pretty insignificant, and that's whilst the sun is shining !

I am not telling you how to live your life as the government has responsibility for that.

Yes you are, and even worse you are trying to get out of it by saying, though you support such policies it is not you enforcing them so you are not to blame !

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, fools said:

no amount of infrastructure will remove the need to waste many hours a week faffing about waiting for a battery to charge

if anything, an EV would save me time : get home - plug it in, done. Fully charged by morning.

(300miles = once a fortnight?)

fyi : we're already seeing people paid to use electricity. It's only a matter of time before EV owners are sent text messages, telling them which day in the coming week will be cheapest to re-charge (due to overnight wind generation), and even on which days they'll be paid most to plug in.

edit :  it already happened (sort of)

"Octopus told its customers ahead of time that it would pay up to 5.6p for every kilowatt-hour of electricity used in certain overnight periods"

Edited by ads36

44 minutes ago, carosio said:

It might be that those who do the highest mileages are professional drivers, commercial vehicles etc, in which case they will pass the charges onto you and I.

Which is what they've always done and always will do so that makes no difference.    More goods should travel by rail anyway,  which is how it used to be.

Electric power is far cheaper than diesel power so there may even be some savings.

21 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That makes no sense.

Sadly impossible Anna. The amount of power you'd get out of an entire car being covered in solar panels would be pretty insignificant, and that's whilst the sun is shining !

Yes you are, and even worse you are trying to get out of it by saying, though you support such policies it is not you enforcing them so you are not to blame !

It makes sense to everyone but you.

You have your motive power expert hat on now then, whilst telling Anna what's not possible.  Stick to aerials  -  I would be surprised if you are good at that.

If you are daft enough to think that I have some government post which is enforcing restrictions on you, then  more fool you