No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

3 hours ago, fools said:

no amount of infrastructure will remove the need to waste many hours a week faffing about waiting for a battery to charge

then there's the fires .., and the cost, and the service charges, and the ugly infrastructure everywhere

Where does all the faffing about come in ?   You plug the damn thing in and walk away so it's no more faffing than making a cup of coffee.

Battery technology is about to change and the new ones will not be fire risks.  Try learning about things before making announcements.

As for ugly infrastructure, I wouldn't say that a typical petrol / diesel filling station is a thing of beauty.

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That makes no sense.

Sadly impossible Anna. The amount of power you'd get out of an entire car being covered in solar panels would be pretty insignificant, and that's whilst the sun is shining !

Yes you are, and even worse you are trying to get out of it by saying, though you support such policies it is not you enforcing them so you are not to blame !

Solar technology is improving all the time. And I see no reason why the turning wheels can't generate more.

This car went like the clappers, and had no problem generating enough for about 60- 130 miles a day (I think) but anyway certainly enough for city driving and the commute.

Yes I see what you mean with the problem in our cloudy, non-sunny country, but I have solar panels on the roof that are supposed to generate even in dull weather.

Just now, Anna B said:

Solar technology is improving all the time. And I see no reason why the turning wheels can't generate more.

This car went like the clappers, and had no problem generating enough for about 60- 130 miles a day (I think) but anyway certainly enough for city driving and the commute.

Yes I see what you mean with the problem in our cloudy, non-sunny country, but I have solar panels on the roof that are supposed to generate even in dull weather.

That is quite correct and the technology will keep getting better and cheaper.

They do still work when they don't have direct sunshine and this too will improve.

47 minutes ago, ads36 said:

if anything, an EV would save me time : get home - plug it in, done. Fully charged by morning.

(300miles = once a fortnight?)

fyi : we're already seeing people paid to use electricity. It's only a matter of time before EV owners are sent text messages, telling them which day in the coming week will be cheapest to re-charge (due to overnight wind generation), and even on which days they'll be paid most to plug in.

edit :  it already happened (sort of)

"Octopus told its customers ahead of time that it would pay up to 5.6p for every kilowatt-hour of electricity used in certain overnight periods"

so good, you bought a car with a petrol engine instead.

deluded if you think the country is going to be charging millions of cars and getting paid for it. Try a 65p/kwh fast charger when you're out and about, if you can find one.

29 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Where does all the faffing about come in ?   You plug the damn thing in and walk away so it's no more faffing than making a cup of coffee.

Battery technology is about to change and the new ones will not be fire risks.  Try learning about things before making announcements.

As for ugly infrastructure, I wouldn't say that a typical petrol / diesel filling station is a thing of beauty.

lol, you have no idea. Where do you get it all from

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Well my roof at home is much bigger than a car and is covered in solar panels. At best it produces about 3kW, which is about 4hp.......

31 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That is quite correct and the technology will keep getting better and cheaper.

They do still work when they don't have direct sunshine and this too will improve.

See above

Edited by Chekhov

10 minutes ago, fools said:

lol, you have no idea. Where do you get it all from

Certainly not from fools.     Try asking those who have one and remember to charge it properly.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

Certainly not from fools.     Try asking those who have one and remember to charge it properly.

someone who has never in their life been more than 120 miles away from home is not really best placed to advise on the pro's and con's of EV ownership

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Well my roof at home is much bigger than a car and is covered in solar panels. At best it produces about 3kW, which is about 4hp.......

See above

Sounds like your panels are about as good as you then.  Probably had it done on the cheap.

Or maybe the electrician said "This blokes getting on my wick  -  let's not connect it".

Just now, fools said:

someone who has never in their life been more than 120 miles away from home is not really best placed to advise on the pro's and con's of EV ownership

Ah     You keep making the same mistake    you didn't read it properly because that's NOT what I said.

And neither is a bloke who's never owned an EV

19 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

At best it produces about 3kW, which is about 4hp.......

and at the end of a single day, you'd have produced about 15-20kWh, or about 1/3rd of a full charge in a typical EV battery.

it would probably take a week to charge the battery from the panels you could fit on a car, but that would be enough for a *lot* of cars...

(it would be enough for us, driving about 10,000 miles / year)

Edited by ads36

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Ah     You keep making the same mistake    you didn't read it properly because that's NOT what I said.

And neither is a bloke who's never owned an EV

I have never had a foreign holiday in my life and have only twice,  travelled more than 120 miles away from my home ( That was business,  not holiday )

oh I'm sorry, twice ...on business, you win. what an interesting life.

try it in an EV, in winter ... no heating might help

3000 cars have just gone up in smoke btw, must be old tech

Edited by fools