Ditch the car, cycle to work. Which bike?

Fuel goes up; car insurance, MOT and everything else associated with owning a vehicle is forever increasing. Driving to and from work, going about the day's business, trying to park - it's all becoming a bit of a nightmare.

So, I've two decent alternatives. One is to walk which might be asking a little too much. Lodge Moor to Crookes Valley six (and sometimes seven) days a week (and back of course) might be a little too vexing for a relatively unfit 37 year old.

But what about a bike? Cheap to buy, practically free to run and I'd guess I might get fit to boot. Could I cycle up School Road and Lydgate Lane and then along Sandygate Road every evening? Would it take much longer than it does in the car at 5pm?

So here are some questions:

Has anyone else on here ditched the car to cycle to work? Are you pleased you did so or are you simply too knackered to tell me?

What type of bike would you recommend for the likes of me?

What should I look for in a bike, how much should I pay and what other items would I need?

Please don't try and be too technical with your advice. Remember, the last time I straddled a bike, I rushed home on it to watch John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John on Top of the Pops.

buy a cheapish mountain bike type - dont bother with suspension (its actually bad for your back if only road riding).

then try it ,if you like it you can advance the quality of the bike & sell the other one.

You'd easily beat the traffic into work in the morning, and riding back wouldn't be too bad - something like half an hour without going too hard up the hills (or is just one big hill) home.

Don't buy one of the cheap full suspension bikes, they sap lots of your pedalling energy into 'bobbing up and down' energy - an old sturdy racing bike or cheap, hardtail mountain bike. Don't spend over £100, and prob best to get a decent 2nd hand one. It's an idea to take some sporty clothes for cycling back home, you'll get quite sweaty :)

Look out for the council's cycling in Sheffield booklet, they make one every season with lots of info in

Fuel goes up; car insurance, MOT and everything else associated with owning a vehicle is forever increasing. Driving to and from work, going about the day's business, trying to park - it's all becoming a bit of a nightmare.

So, I've two decent alternatives. One is to walk which might be asking a little too much. Lodge Moor to Crookes Valley six (and sometimes seven) days a week (and back of course) might be a little too vexing for a relatively unfit 37 year old.

But what about a bike? Cheap to buy, practically free to run and I'd guess I might get fit to boot. Could I cycle up School Road and Lydgate Lane and then along Sandygate Road every evening? Would it take much longer than it does in the car at 5pm?

So here are some questions:

Has anyone else on here ditched the car to cycle to work? Are you pleased you did so or are you simply too knackered to tell me?

What type of bike would you recommend for the likes of me?

What should I look for in a bike, how much should I pay and what other items would I need?

Please don't try and be too technical with your advice. Remember, the last time I straddled a bike, I rushed home on it to watch John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John on Top of the Pops.

Ey-up mate. Yeah I cyclced to work for a good few years until some little b'stard nicked it from outside my office. So my first tip is buy a GOOD, strong chain.

As for doing it, it was a bit daunting at first especially after driving but it was the best thing I ever did. I'll be honest; the first couple of weeks will be a BIG shock to the system (specifically the arse and legs) but you'll be surprised how quick you take to it. And there is no better time of the year to do it. Cycling in in a morning when the sun is shining and there is still that freshness which means you won't arrive at work looking like a big, sweaty court rapist, is awesome!

As for the bike itself. I'd recommend a 'hybrid' or road bike (same thing really ) - half racer, half mountain bike. Some of the sales guys in JE James' cycles will try to steer you away from front suspensions but for Sheffield's fooked up roads I think they're essential, as is a saddle suspension for counteracting testicular depreciation. :)

Take it steady & avoid the busier roads at first. I never used to wear a helmet but I would still strongly recommend one...as well as some bike shades (for dust and the like).

Lastly, when you do get confident & you're whizzing through traffic just take a moment to check out all the pis*ed off faces in cars and you'll wonder why you didn't do it all sooner. :)

I've recently started to the same thing - bought a second hand bike off here. Crookes to town is a breeze, coming home is tough.

You've got some long uphill hauls so I would consider a lightweight road bike although a mountain bike will be more robust.

In terms of time, you'll get to work much quicker during the rush hour, propably using the brakes more than the pedals, but going home will take much longer - I seriously think I could walk home quicker.

Sheffield traffic isn't very bike friendly (indeed there's a thread at the moment, celebrating the fact that a cyclist was involved in a serious accident). So get a helmet and something flourescent for when it gets darker.

The best thing is that it is much, much, much more fun than sitting in a car or bus.

I'm with Tricky on this one. Generally road bikes have thinner tyres and weigh less, and therefore less drag, unfortunately you'll pay a little more at the outset for one but I can thoroughly recomend it. Worth getting one with a triple front chainset (i.e. three cogs at the front) as it makes hills a bit easier.

Agree with everyone else - make yourself visible and buy a good lock. I'm sure it'll be the second best decision in your life.

a hybrid/racer is gona make going home up school road much nicer then on a mtb(i notice the difference going up eccy road south when i switch bikes) you can pick up a racer for about £50 from the star or freeadds and they cope with the roads fine. Also decathlon have padded baggy cycling shorts for £15 they def help with the sore arse.

Get a motorbike or a scooter, parking is free in town and running costs are minimal and you won't need a shower and a change of clothes. I have a mate who is an extremely fit and keen cyclist (a 100 mile a day man), and even he doesn't cycle to work because he would have to sit in his own sweaty filth for 8 hours before cycling back home.

Archived