Ditch the car, cycle to work. Which bike?

Well my boss comes in to work every day from hathersage and anyone who drives and knows the best way wouldn't normally be beaten by a cyclist.

The thing that makes me a bit annoyed about all this cycling commuting stuff is very fit people and those who don't have far to go may well do well to commute by cycle every day, but sheffield has all these steep hills and we are constantly being compared to college towns where everyone cycles. I have been to cambridge many times and it is as flat as a pancake, even elderly pensioners cycle everywhere on ancient bikes in heavy clothing, there are more bikes than cars. I have been to Holland where they have seperated cycling on many main road, again flat.

By all means cycle if you can and it is appropriate, but don't expect 50% of the population to slog up Meadowhead or many of the other slighly less severe hills that our city is built on.

I'd also recommend hybrid or road bike, as long as it's light, has good brakes and doesn't have big, knobbly off road tyres on it you'll be ok.

As for getting hot and sweaty, Lodge Moor to Cookes Valley is mainly down hill so you'll only really work up a sweat going home. I cycle from Crookes down to Abbeydale and back everyday and just change my t-shirt when I get to work. It only takes me 12 minutes, certainly a lot quicker than driving.

Good luck!

get 1 of those electric bikes, charge them up and go, no tax, insurance mot etc, :)

I think you still have to pedal those electric bikes, they just help.

Tax insurance and MOT for a small motorbike is very cheap, depending on your age could be well under £200 a year for all of it, round about £3 a week and a 125 will do well over 120 miles to a gallon, so petrol would probably cost you about £5 per month.

It's years since I had a 125, so someone who has one may be able to clarify the current costs.

Archived