Ditch the car, cycle to work. Which bike?

you would need a bile with a decent suspension in sheffield

For riding on roads suspension is far from a necessity.

And, if buying a cheap bike it's a good tactic to avoid any with suspension forks, as adequate suspension forks are expensive- if the bikes cheap it's inevitable that the suspension forks will be pretty bad.

A Rockrider 5.2 from Decathlon .... £200, cheap and cheerful and has done 6000 miles under me so far! Had the wheels replaced and needed a new rear cassette (replaced well and cheaply by the Decathlon mechanics) but is still going strong .....

For an every day commute, buy something cheap and sturdy (below £500..... MTB with moderations like thinner tyres or cyclo cross which is a cross between a road bike and a MTB). And make sure you know some basic maintenance such as cleaner and lubing! Saves even more money in the long run.

Oh .... and don't let the silly drivers put you off. No matter what you read on here and elsewhere. The vast majority of drivers in Sheffield are courteous and well behaved.

Cycle to work scheme is great. JE James less so.

There are better bike shops that spend the time to make sure that the bike is set up for you. Virtually all of them are now part of the cycle to work scheme.

I don't think there is a single cycle to work scheme as such. With our work one, we were limited to which shop or company we could use. I couldn't use my bike shop of choice because they weren't dealing with my employer. But you're right, most bike shops are involved with a scheme.

you would need a bile with a decent suspension in sheffield

I think a mountain bike with suspension is exactly not what you want on the road. Even with "slick" tyres on they are heavy and the suspension absorbes alot of your pedalling effort. A rigid hybrid or road bike is much more suitable in my opinion. Large wheels, slimmer tyres. Less rolling resistance.

Get a motorbike or a scooter, parking is free in town and running costs are minimal and you won't need a shower and a change of clothes. I have a mate who is an extremely fit and keen cyclist (a 100 mile a day man), and even he doesn't cycle to work because he would have to sit in his own sweaty filth for 8 hours before cycling back home.
8 hours of my own sweaty filth is the only reason I go to work :|

Hey everyone. Top marks for Biking to work! I think more people should, its an easier way to get around the city!

I walk to work as its not really far enough for me to bike, but It is great to get about on your bike and see some sites of sheffield. Have you all been down to the Tinsley canal? On the Blue Loop? There are so many different routes you can take including the cycle loop starting from the Meadowhall Interchange which takes approx 40mins. and see some of the wildlife!

I work for the Blue Loop Community project and we are always putting on events to get people walking and biking! Thursday 24th Feb. 10am-12noon we have our "On Yer Bike" event meeting at Darnall Community Park Our River Stewards will be taking people along the River Don and seeing what signs of spring we can see.

Don't forget your Bike and Helmet!

Have a look at our website: theblueloop.org

would be great to see some new faces!

• 1 month later...

Archived