Did you work for The Star in the 70/80's

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I worked there, in the Display Advertising department. It was when Diana married Prince Phillip, when was that - 1981? Wasn't there for long, about 18 months, but remember my line manager Mick Davies, and Julie Thornton who I thought was bloody gorgeous but far too sophisticated for me (related to the Blackpool Pleasure Beach owners I think).. Maureen in Classified.. aahhh Maureen... cant remembr the name of the guy who ran the department but he wasn't on my Christmas card list!

My Uncle worked for the Telegraph/Star as a photographer, he was called George Heppenstall

I was a Darkroom Junior there 79-81, I remember George. Nice bloke - he had some photos of ufo's or something that the other photographers seemed to think were impressive.

I remember quite a few people from there including all the photographers and printers at the time, and our tea lady Mavis.

Also the guys I used to work with - John Ayres & Rob Green (there were 2 Rob Greens in the same department)

fond memories of the place

• 1 year later...

Yes, George Heppenstall was a lovely guy, one of the Telegraph photographers, working alongside the likes of Ron Lane and Frank Travers.

I had a year on The Star, but I was much happier on the Telegraph, and I have some great memories of some terrific people --journalists, yes, but also people down on the stone and in the wire room, processing, etc. Even the Editorial messengers were lovely people.

Of course, there were some great people on The Star, too.

Yes, George Heppenstall was a lovely guy, one of the Telegraph photographers, working alongside the likes of Ron Lane and Frank Travers.

I had a year on The Star, but I was much happier on the Telegraph, and I have some great memories of some terrific people --journalists, yes, but also people down on the stone and in the wire room, processing, etc. Even the Editorial messengers were lovely people.

Of course, there were some great people on The Star, too.

Aw! thank you! I was an Editorial Messenger - 1968-1970 approx, I then went to the Distribution Department, then Circulation/Publicity before leaving to have my son, now aged 27!

I was there from 1966-89, worked in composing dept (adset) in hot metal on nights and went on days in Nov 1971 and then quite a few years later was converted to paste-up and subsequently page make-up. I remember many many names far too many to list here, great times, great atmosphere and oh the camararderie.