Did you work for The Star in the 70/80's

I worked there, in the Display Advertising department. It was when Diana married Prince Phillip, when was that - 1981

Eeek! Diana married Charles mores the pity :D

Hello Arrodbo... Richard Cheesborough in fact worked for the Morning Telegraph in the 70s when he lived in Huddersfield - a dedicated Yorkshire cricket buff, pipe smoker, enthusiastic producer of home brewed ale, jovial companion and expert sub editor. Thanks for reviving happy memories.

My Brother -in -Law work on the Star many years ago

His name was Derek Newboult.

hazel

Hi Hazel Sorry not to have contacted you earlier, but yours must have been one of the last posting that I intended replying to before I ‘disappeared’ until quite recently.

Derek. His surname rings a bell but my first choice for Derek — and believe me my memory has played many an old trick on me since I was hospitalised — would be in the dispatch department. Very pleasant guy. Took life even easier than I did, but being considerably older than me I would have thought that by now he might well have passed away.

The only other Derek of that era was an impatient but nevertheless good worker as head of circulation

Anyone remember Ken Morgan, who on behalf of the Newspaper Press Fund, brought me a cheque and good wishes when I was lying in Lodge Moor Hospital? It was a nice gesture to tide me over Ken and many thanks for journeying to visit me. I am wondering if Ken is still with us?

Hello Chairboy...re Ken Morgan. Ken spent his long career as a Telegraph sub-editor. He was active in the National Union of Journalists and a stalwart of the Newspaper Press Fund and devoted much of his spare time to helping others, among other things as a volunteer driver for the WVS on hospital visits. He was a spritely character and still ski-ing long into retirement. He died some ten years ago. His widow Violet died last year soon after her 100th birthday.

Hello Chairboy...re Ken Morgan. Ken spent his long career as a Telegraph sub-editor. He was active in the National Union of Journalists and a stalwart of the Newspaper Press Fund and devoted much of his spare time to helping others, among other things as a volunteer driver for the WVS on hospital visits. He was a spritely character and still ski-ing long into retirement. He died some ten years ago. His widow Violet died last year soon after her 100th birthday.

Thank you for that (WG) - not exactly what I wanted to hear but not surprised considering his visit was in 1993. You paint a very good picture (sprightliness and good egg) as how I perceived him to be. I am sure I thanked him for his efforts at the time but thought it was an opportune moment to mention his name on this thread. Pleasing to hear his late wife made the 'ton'. If only the world was full of people like Ken!

CHARLIE'S BRAINWAVE

Re Redfyre and editorial messengers. When I joined the Sheffield Telegraph as a trainee reporter in 1950, the chief messenger was the venerable Mr Hemington, a small white-haired gentleman who could have been cast as an Old Testament prophet. Another veteran, in the 1960s, was Charlie Wain. He made a name for himself on the day of the Moon landing on Monday July 20, 1969. We had the front page, complete with the famous photograph, ready to print when Charlie, delivering cups of tea, pointed to the dateline at the top of the page, and said 'It's not Monday...it's MOONDAY! We changed it accordingly and earned accolades in the trade press as possibly the only paper to have done so...thanks to Charlie's brainwave.

Back in the 1960s, as I recall, there was a very likeable old chap who used to sit at the York Street entrance, just inside the door and roughly where the lift was installed later. His job was to greet and direct people, and he was a character. Everybody who used that entrance on a regular basis knew him, and he knew everybody. I often wonder what his story was, (I'll bet he knew some stories, too!) and I am sure he merits a place in the history of Shefield Newspapers.