What's Your Definition Of Elderly?

I never thought of myself as old until recently.  I certainly think I have "aged" in many ways over the last year, and I'm blaming much of it on the virus.  Little social interaction, less physical exertion, arthritis etc starting to gnaw away at me and so on.  Looking older when I look in a mirror, feeling the cold more, missing a chat over a few beers, not really having the energy or willingness to do the mountain of jobs I've identified at home.  Worried that the old brain is turning to mush, but doing nothing about it.  Oh well, enough of this moaning - I'm off to find some repeats on tele to while the time away!

Since my "old" school teacher post (#10) I've been giving this some thought.

As with Thirsty Relic, I've been worried about the days/weeks slipping away... "so little time, so much to do". In fact, so much to do, I can't decide which first, and consequently do none. (So I've been told...)

OK... Elderly to me = 70 (and above, obviously)

Middle-aged = 45. (50 if I was pushed)

Of course there are the other well-known age definitions, one of which is "Older than my teeth"....

😏

Being retired and the wrong side of 60 I sometimes have mixed emotions reading stories where someone's age is mentioned. I'm either cross because they've used age as shorthand for weak and defenceless,  as in a news story where someone who has been robbed or burgled was 63, implying they were too old to defend themselves. Or I read of someone who has died aged 76 and I think, well that was a good age to go before I realise that I'm within 10 years of that.

I certainly don't feel "elderly" when I'm at epee competitions and beat people 40 - 50 years younger than myself.

I agree with @pattricia, too. I'm 66, and apart from a niggling shoulder problem, I'm probably fitter and more active than I was 20 years ago.

A friend of mine is 72, and although he's a bit of a hypochondriac, he still runs 3 or 4 miles a day, and up until the current situation stopped them happening, took part in a number of competitions, often beating people 20/30 years his junior.

3 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Since my "old" school teacher post (#10) I've been giving this some thought.

As with Thirsty Relic, I've been worried about the days/weeks slipping away... "so little time, so much to do". In fact, so much to do, I can't decide which first, and consequently do none. (So I've been told...)

OK... Elderly to me = 70 (and above, obviously)

Middle-aged = 45. (50 if I was pushed)

Of course there are the other well-known age definitions, one of which is "Older than my teeth"....

😏

The other half of the definition's just come to me -

"...but younger than the hair".

🙂