Eggboxes up West Street

Texas

When I saw the thread about the 'Eggbox', memories being what they are, it reminded me of a coffee bar/restaurant that used to be somewhere up West Street, near the baths. It kept fairly late hours so it was quite popular in the late 50's. The tie in with eggboxes was that the ceiling was covered in them and painted blue. Anybody remember it? Funny how one remembers details like that. Now WHAT did I do with my car keys? In the 'fridge I suppose, AGAIN.

• 5 years later...

You are correct, it was a Chinese type restaurant called either the Zing Va or the Rickshaw - I went in it a few times in 1956/57/58. The egg cartons (the type which hold about 30 eggs) were fixed to the ceiling - either a shade of dark blue or purple I cannot remember. it was on a corner off West Street, on the left hand side when going out of the city centre. The street it was on the corner of went right down almost to the moor - damned if I can remember the name of the street. There was also a street running parallel with West Street, which came out just below this restaurant. The street ran from Barkers Pool all the way along and there was a fire serive depot on its right hand side - was it Devonshire Street or some other name beginning with "D"

That is all I recall from those years. I lived at Swallownest from being born (1940) to 1967 when I moved to Driffield near Bridlington, then here to Malaysia at the end of 2006. Best Regards - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

You are correct, it was a Chinese type restaurant called either the Zing Va or the Rickshaw ... it was on a corner off West Street, on the left hand side when going out of the city centre. The street it was on the corner of went right down almost to the moor...
It was the Rickshaw that was on the corner of Broomhall Street and Devonshire Street; it must have closed around 1970. The Zing Vaa is on The Moor..:)

Archived