Interest Rates. Why So Low?

14 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But the Footsie measures only the top 100 shares, weighted by market capitalisation, as far as I know. This might make it unrepresentative of market trends generally and also excludes 'special situation' share price changes.

The FTSE all share was above 4,000 before COVID, it then dropped below 3,000 and it has been climbing back up since then.

It now stands at 3,804 which is the same level it was in mid 2016.  Going back to 2012 and before and 3,000 was its normal level.

Go back to 2003 and it was 1,800; so you could have doubled your money over a 20 year time period, then of course you have dividends on top of that. That would easily beat all bank savings rates.

14 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The FTSE all share was above 4,000 before COVID, it then dropped below 3,000 and it has been climbing back up since then.

It now stands at 3,804 which is the same level it was in mid 2016.  Going back to 2012 and before and 3,000 was its normal level.

Go back to 2003 and it was 1,800; so you could have doubled your money over a 20 year time period, then of course you have dividends on top of that. That would easily beat all bank savings rates.

A quick look on the BOE website shows £1000 in 2000 was worth £1721.35 in 2020 which you'd have to consider before thinking you have doubled your money.

15 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But the Footsie measures only the top 100 shares, weighted by market capitalisation, as far as I know. This might make it unrepresentative of market trends generally and also excludes 'special situation' share price changes.

Thats why you should also buy trackers targeting other regions of the world, and perhaps smaller UK companies too. 

49 minutes ago, Padders said:

It seems to me the only way to get a return on your savings is to invest in Bit coin.

Don't really know how it works, but people have made a lot of money out of it.

Currently valued at £58,000. A new record high.

Go for it then.

I'll stick with my market-based funds running at 15%