Carbrook School

Originally posted by Damkina

Hiya juliediane,

I only remember a few of the names, (mainly those that we kept in touch with when we moved) and bits and pieces of events and places... but Mum says she remembers a family called Skelton, but not the first names... sorry. The only Skelton I do know is Phil; the present Landlord of the Carbrook Hall.IS it me being delusional, or was the infants classroom enourmous? I sure one of the teachers were called Mrs. Meeds.Just an added, the Carbrook get-together next year is on the 1st Saturday of October at the Carbrook Hall. What about all going for a natter and try to catch-up on old neighbours?Damkina

Hi, Damkina, it is not i, who went to carbrook school but my husband, Keith Skelton.your info on the infants is right, there was 1 large classroom and my husband thinks 2 smaller classrooms, the infants backed on to carbrook street. if you went down carbrook street today you will still find part of the old school wall incorporated into whithams steelworks.

juliediane

Originally posted by Damkina

Hello,

Just browsing through the topics. As far as I know, my mum is still in touch with Margret Baines. And if you know Pat Bray, I think she is regestered on 'Friends and Family.' My mum is called Violet Rawson, and was one of the Rayworth family ... the daughter of Violet Rayworth (Whyman) who lived on Warden Street. She is also the cousin of the Joyce and Tom Rick who lived on Bright Street.

Don't know if you already know, but there are get-togethers at the Carbrook Hall a couple of times a year for those that were born and/or lived in Carbrook.

Just an added bit, I also went to Carbrook C of E, but I was only born in 1966.

My husband, Keith Skelton knows Joyce & Tom Rick, i was born in 62'. when are the reunions at the carbrook hall please. will send you a pm.

juliediane

I didnt go there but I know of a few people who went there as I lived on short street there was steven holford, david mitchell, allan piper, john woodhead,ray woodhead,malcolm woodhead, ernest carr,gary carr, john kemp, probally steven holford sisters that would be linda,val,janet then there would have been david mitchell twin sisters would have gone there and kay goodwin john mather and his sister, then it would have been wayne frith, john goodrum. I know that steven holford use to go as we are cousins all these people use to live around bright street, askern street, dunlop street, carbrook street oh and I think howard allsop use to go there as well and maybe john palmer, mick willetts, dave rodgers who is now know longer with us then there was carol humpfries and all the other mates I cant think of who all went to carbrook c of e school 1953 to 1963 or even beyond that until is closed down.

oh and I know of tommy rick and paddy martin and tony lighthowler. I use to knock about with tommy rick when I was a kid we was always over the cut and we use to do a lot of swimming in the cut in the summer and another name as just come to light paul roach and michael steel and susan roach cant think of anymore oh yes I can david rothwell he was another one who went there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i'm new to this but couldnt help but join in. I lived on Warden Street knew the Mitchells, Halfords, Woodheads, Martins loads of them brought back lots of memories. I was there also when they pulled the young girl out of the canal. Would love to hear from anyone that remembers me or my family the Newtons. There was Mick, Kathleen, Marg me - Ken - and my younger sister Lenette. We all at some point attended Carbrook School.:thumbsup:

Hi cycleracer you mentioned the rodgers family who lived on weedon street would that be david rodgers who use to knock about with alan piper, david mitchell, because if it is he is know longer here he as gone to the other side of life I think it is 15 years he as been passed away he went to live near the manor hotel with his girlfriend or so I was told that he had died. do you know howard allsop, mick willetts, john palmer. I use to live next door to david mitchell on short street just up from where I lived was susan mather and her brother cant remember what they called him and at the end house was kay goodwin then there was garry carr,ernie carr, Ian shaw who got stabbed in sheffield and lost his kidney then there was johnny goodrum he lived at the top of dunlop street is it bright street where michael moss lived and barry gill also billy otter springs to mind then there was the connors who lived on weedon street and olene booth she lived around there. cant think of anymore just yet

Hi my name was Joan Swain I lived @ 152 Weedon Street I also went to Carbrook Cof E school I remember Mr Cornthwaite - Miss Hetherington was my first teacher in 1958 - also remember Miss Crocker - I was very friendly with the Lynn Rodgers who lived in next yard - Willetts family lived next door at 1 side Mary Allott lived at other side of use - also remember Carol & Jean Humphries who lived on carbrook Street - anyone remember Rothwell's newsagents also on carbrook St

Happy Day

anyone remember Rothwell's newsagents also on carbrook St

Happy Day

Hello Joan.

yes Keith remembers the newsagents - rothwells- ivor rothwell-.

he wants to know if you remember- Ainsley's fruit shop , Rock Carrs ,

Aldridges fruit & veg, wet fish, and Woodbines fish & chip shop.

i was only young been born in 62, it is my husband wanted to know. my uncle also lived on Warden street Barry Bottom.