Carbrook School

plain talker something wrong with my e mail cant send out but can recieve messages.the info you wanted . jean had a little boy in the 70s and had him adopted. they called him daniel. when ethel died jean came to the funeral with her husband ron eastwood and a new baby in her arms she had just had this baby was called cheryl. they lived in shiregreen on godric rd. her husband died in about 92. dont know any ben i know ethel had two sons ken my stepdad, and john he died some years ago.

bigkev

Haven't been able to get online much lately.

My Mum Violet Rayworth knows your aunty and uncle. She used to work at Metros with your aunty Doreen and says that she is still working in the mornings, and is George the same one that's Ilene Neils brother?

She also knows Steve 'Fuzzy', who she remembers as a lovely person... always smiling. And he used to mates with her cousin, Tommy Rick.

I'm hoping to get her to come and read these messages some day soon. But if not, I know she's hoping to see quit a crowd at the Carbrook Hall Reunion on the 1st Saturday in October.

Damkina

Hi damkina yes george is the brother of Ilene neils but my uncle george died last year just before september I think and steven fuzzy holford lost his dad in november who was my uncle jack. I havent seen either of them for a about 3years or it could be just a bit longer so you can imagine how upset I was when I found out that they both had died and I didnt get to talk to them one last time. I sent my aunty doreen a letter last year telling her that I had changed my name and that I have now got a 3 year old son, but I havent heard anything from her or even our kim thats doreen & georges daughter the oldest one they had also got leslie and claire but not heard from them for a long time. I am going to try and get down to the reunion in october but I shall be living in scotland then as I am hoping to move up there in august.

Hi bigkev,

That is such a shame. I know how you feel as I didn't get to speak to my Grandfather, which I will always regret.

My Mum said that she's kept thinking about going to see Doreen. When she does, I'll ask her to pass on your regards, find out if she got the letter and also find out if she's going to the Reunion too. I don't want to pry or stand on your toes, but how about going to see her?

Up to now, and unless the fates intervene, I'm still going to the Reunion.

Damkina

hi damkina I will send you a pm with my aunty doreens address on it if you have got it,as for going to see her it might be a shock to her system as I have changed a lot and in a big way at that I have now got long black hair which is right down my back the last time she saw me was when I had very very short hair and I was married then. she once told me not to get married to a older women but did I listen like hell I did oh how I wished I had listened to my aunty my ex wife did me out of £75.000 but thats another story. what I might have to do is send her a new photo of all my new family now so she can see who it was that wrote to her, as I used my new surname and not my old surname so she might have thought it was a crank letter. anyway I will pm you with the address

Hi bigkev,

I've posted back.

Through personal experience, one word of advice. when you go to see old relatives and their friends that you haven't seen for years, make sure that you take the family tree charts with you and copies of photos of you and your Mum, Dad and all the aunties, uncles and whoever else there is. :D It works wonders!

Then sit back and enjoy the stories about what you used to get up to:)

Damkina

Hi damkina if only I had got photos of all my aunties and uncles then it would be brilliant but as I am the last one on my dads side and my mums come to that as I havent seen my proper mum for 42 years she lefted me when I was 10 years old and I havent seen her since, it would be nice to see her after all this time but I dont think that is going to happen, as for the photos I have got one of my mum but it is that faded you can only just make her out. I havent got any photos of my dad only my grandma & grandad and my younger brother when he was just 8 years old he went with my sister to live with my mum so all in all I havent seen my mum or my brother or my sister for a very long time, and it upsets me knowing that I never saw my brother or sister grow up and how they have turned out and what they are doing now with there lifes. if I go and see my aunty doreen it could bring back some very bad times what I went through when my mum left me, my aunty doreen and uncle george was the only ones that would look after me until my grandma & grandad decided to look after me. so as I said photos would have been nice but not possible, my dads girlfriend was the last one to have any of them and I would think that she as burnt them so I cant have them. she was very spiteful with me and she hated me but if I could just meet her one day then she would see what a nice person I am or not to her because I would really have a go at her for what she as done to me. so there you have it

Hiya chuck,

I've been sat wondering what to say to you... whatever I say won't be the right thing. I can only send you my deepest sympathy and wish you the best for the future.

Due to family considerations, for the next couple of weeks, it won't be possible for my Mum to see your aunt, but I've given her the address you sent me and she said that she 'will' be getting in touch with her.

I didn't know at the time, but she went a while ago to where your aunt works to see her, but she had already left for home.

I know it's been a long time, but we will try.

Damkina

• 7 months later...
Hello all ex Carbrook folk. I've been reading this thread for a few weeks now. Time to join in. My family lived on Yarmouth Street. Jack Dodsley's corner shop was on the end of it and it was across from Carbrook School. My Nan Edna Williams was the landlady of The Commercial Hotel on the corner of Weedon Street. Ian Williams is my uncle and his Dad, Reg sadly died in 2004.

I remember quite a few of the names mentioned on here. Here's just a few of the names I remember from my time, Robert Allen, David Roebuck.Diane McKee,Diane Connors,Mick Moss,Barry Gill. The Goodrums. The Lockwoods. Theh Neil Family (Jeffrey was in my class) Phillip Carr,Gary Carr (he was in a band called The Green Carnation with our Ian) Mrs Searson. Tommy Bruce's greengrocers shop was across from us and he had a white alsation anybody remember that? Mansells sweet shop, Albert Bruces shop.The chip shops Woodbines,Phoenix's, Fields chippy which was across the road from the Commercial.The Zanelli family who lived on Weedon Street went to our school. Steve Willets and Steve Turner were good mates. Ian Kemp was the best mate of my brother. Miss Beal,Miss Springthorpe,Mr Evans,Mr Hughes were some of the teachers when I was there and Mr Cornthwaite was the headmaster. Some other names that have just sprung to mind. Martin Beard,Tommy and Michael Rick,Ian and Paul Golland, Tina Linacre, Dale Parkinson,Paul Wright,Michael Williams,Lance and Paul Woods. My word the list goes on. I used to love going in Les Fox's,no lighting whatsoever and piled to the rafters with workclothes and airfix kits! We all used to play on the rec and I remember Bill the rec keeper. Nice chap and always smelt of antiseptic.Didn't half hurt if you fell over on all those red chippings! Happy days.

hi i can remember most of those names lynn kemp val holford i was at carbrook c of e from1952 till 1959 i remember teachers mr bishop miss sanderson miss haydock and a chinese teacher whose name i can t remember also irene martin kathleen staniforth carol swain eileen murphy elsie moss thekissacks peter brooks the sockett family strutts christine harpham to name but a few that come to mind

hi i can remember most of those names lynn kemp val holford i was at carbrook c of e from1952 till 1959 i remember teachers mr bishop miss sanderson miss haydock and a chinese teacher whose name i can t remember also irene martin kathleen staniforth carol swain eileen murphy elsie moss thekissacks peter brooks the sockett family strutts christine harpham to name but a few that come to mind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello cleegirl

The name of the chinese teacher was MISS WONG,

Lynne Kemp has died of a brain tumour about 10 to 12 years ago.

The last time we saw Steve Kissack was when he was attending his daughters grave at Anston Grave yard while we was searching for my grans grave.

Do you remember, Barry Bott , nellie Bott, and Fred Gilbert, David Skelton