A630 Parkway Upgrade Works

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What nonsense. 

Lots of people live next to motorways. Lots of motorways have junctions that require an uphill before joining. Lots of motorway sections only have two lanes.  

If cars are really so low in power that they cannot get up to speed to join safely they quite frankly shouldn't be on the road.  I don't believe for a second that most vehicles cannot get up to speed and if the real reason is some doddery over cautious nervous fleshy part behind the wheel then they shouldn't be on the road either. 

As for those residents, I'm sure they would prefer a lower speed and slightly quieter life but I'm willing to bet the Parkway has been there a damn sight longer than most of those whiners have lived in their houses. They chose to move in. 30 years ago they had an airport in their back gardens so should have no complaints over the noise from the Parkway. The vast majority of which is nowhere near residential houses and is mostly passing industrial or or commercial buildings. 

Its purpose-built to be wide, straight and fast. Given the fact that a huge number of twisty-turn country roads have a national speed limit of 60 I am not buying this crap about low speed safety of 50 on a purpose-built dual carriageway road.  

We are going backwards to try and appease the minority.   Reducing perfectly safe speeds and seemingly advocating limiting our advancements in vehicle technology.

Its rediculous

What about commercial vehicles? I've been behind a few lorries who are nowhere near 50 getting on to the m1 at 29a (north bound). That's pretty short. Some parkway ones I'd bet are shorter.

On 03/02/2021 at 09:54, ads36 said:

people live next to the parkway.

50's much quieter than 70.

Depends what gear you're in to be fair. Can't make blanket statements like that.

1 hour ago, probedb said:

Depends what gear you're in to be fair. Can't make blanket statements like that.

Most highway noise is from tyre noise, according to a quick Google, which increases with speed, regardless of gear selection, and is the dominant noise generator in the speed range 30-70mph. 

9 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Most highway noise is from tyre noise, according to a quick Google, which increases with speed, regardless of gear selection, and is the dominant noise generator in the speed range 30-70mph. 

That's it sorted then, let's push for 80mph. Less time in the local area, means less pollution doesn't it :hihi:

On 03/02/2021 at 09:54, ads36 said:

people live next to the parkway.

50's much quieter than 70.

the parkway isn't built to motorway standards : some of the joining slip-roads are short, some are uphill, some are short *and* uphill. this means some of the joining traffic can't get up to 70.  (some vehicles struggle to accelerate to 50 by the time they're forced to join)

Traffic merging, with only 2 lanes, and a big speed differential, is dangerous. 

50's fine with me.

I can manage 70 on the slip roads in my sister's 1.2 hatchback in the two slips in the 70mph.

Those that don't is a driver issue not the vehicle (other than hgvs and pcvs) 

The slip road from Handsworth on to the parkway, heading towards Rotherham is particularly short. For the first half of this short slip road, parkway traffic cannot  be seen as you are much lower.  If there are cars on the parkway not leaving enough distance between  the vehicle in front it increases the hazard for the joining traffic. It certainly could be improved.

Edited by Janus
Typo

13 hours ago, Janus said:

The slip road from Handsworth on to the parkway, heading towards Rotherham is particularly short. For the first half of this short slip road, parkway traffic cannot  be seen as you are much lower.  If there are cars on the parkway not leaving enough distance between  the vehicle in front it increases the hazard for the joining traffic. It certainly could be improved.

That slip is ~975ft long. For reference the slip at J33 for M1 North is ~1005ft, so less than a bus lengths difference. Vehicles joining the parkway are visible for the last 550ft of that and should be anticipating joining traffic.

There is nothing wrong with the junction or is layout. What we have here is a driver issue, both the joining driver refusing to put the accelerator down & the driver already on the carriageway and failing to anticipate joining traffic and being prepared for the situation.

Other than being repaired, we don't need better roads, we need better drivers.