Grimesthorpe Part 3

geotom

23 hours ago, St Petre said:

Ludlow Street ran from Moss Street /Hunsley Street to Botham Street. Years ago Petre Street only went as far as Carwood Road (coming from town) or perhaps Garter Street. the rest was undeveloped until the Grimesthorpe end, that's where Ludlow Street came in. I once saw a map somewhere on S.F.

I have a Godfrey Edition ordnance survey map map Sheffield (North) 1905. It is extremely detailed covering Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe all along Carlisle St East. Unfortunately I am unable to add a photo from it to this comment but I can assure you that Ludlow Street was the last piece of the extended Petre St. This a picture of it.

Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe

Map Print
Ref No: u01147
Title: Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe
Link:  

43 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

That's Botham St where clock was 

That's right, from the camera at top of Moss Street to Botham St where the clock was on the left Is LUDLOW STREET

Edited by beezerboy

18 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

That's that then Ludlow St did exist just can't recall it 🤔

I've been in Canada for 40 years and I can remember it . I used that bus stop for years as I married a girl just down Hunsley St.

Got to admit the map helps a lot. 

22 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Was it near targets corner shop? Did you know the cornthwaites off Hunsley St? 

22 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Was it near targets corner shop? Did you know the cornthwaites off Hunsley St? 

I only knew my wife's family and couple of  her friends. She doesn't know them either, this was all back in the '60's.

Hi all I lived in yard at the back of bus stop from the forties to 196o the shop on the corner of Botham  st & Peter st was a greengrocers  and was a Beer off, it was owned by Hemmingways  they had 3 kids boys John, Rodney and a girl Patriciia.  I can't say I ever of Ludlow St .

Any one remember hillside as know to as locals .ran from bottom wincobank lane to come out upwell street also cottages ran up beside cottams yard remember seaman's living in one there's pictures. ON old Sheffield site