HMRC Complaint?

It won't be too long before the only contact we will have for anything is a ruddy computer and you have to do everything yourself.  Take utility companies, they don't read meters any more, you have to do it yourself and send it in either online or on the phone to yet another computerized telephone system; telephone receptionists are now extinct!  Don't do it and they will estimate your usage and before you know it you owe them hundreds of pounds or they've got hundreds of your pounds in their bank.  Even when you go to the supermarket they want you to self check out; even at the Co-op!  Well self service is no service in my book!

1 hour ago, AKAMD said:

It won't be too long before the only contact we will have for anything is a ruddy computer and you have to do everything yourself.  Take utility companies, they don't read meters any more, you have to do it yourself and send it in either online or on the phone to yet another computerized telephone system; telephone receptionists are now extinct!  Don't do it and they will estimate your usage and before you know it you owe them hundreds of pounds or they've got hundreds of your pounds in their bank.  Even when you go to the supermarket they want you to self check out; even at the Co-op!  Well self service is no service in my book!

Might just be me but I’ve submitted monthly meter readings for years so, even before Smart Meters, I can monitor my usage, control my direct debit thus avoiding big bills or large credits. I remember having to wait in for meter readers and the big estimated bills if you were out. I think companies still read meters yearly. Pre pandemic I loved self checkouts for small shops to avoid queuing and there was always ‘service’ available if you got stuck

What you need to consider is that these self-checkout machines, automated phone systems and online meter readings have put people out of work and you are doing their work for the private companies and statutory bodies that have replaced them with computers!  Where's Captain Swing when you need him?

• 10 months later...

Well it's taken a long time and a lot of effort but I've now had a response from the Government's Adjudicator's Office. This is stage 3 of the complaints process if stages 1 & 2 do not resolve your complaint (which they didn't). This is a body that sits outside of HMRC but has full access to their records & phone-call recordings. Anyway the Adjudicator has upheld my complaint, well all three of them actually. They say:

"Our review of your complaint has identified shortfalls in the service that HMRC provided to you, and these caused you undue stress and inconvenience. HMRC made errors whilst manually inputting .......etc.". "Due to these shortfalls in service, it is reasonable that HMRC provide you with an apology and a £100 redress payment. I have written to them to ask them to provide you with this. I have also provided them with feedback as to how their service to you was below the required standard, so that they consider any changes needed in future."

So a result I guess. Until the next time 😏

On 13/12/2021 at 16:39, Victor Meldrew said:

Well it's taken a long time and a lot of effort but I've now had a response from the Government's Adjudicator's Office. This is stage 3 of the complaints process if stages 1 & 2 do not resolve your complaint (which they didn't). This is a body that sits outside of HMRC but has full access to their records & phone-call recordings. Anyway the Adjudicator has upheld my complaint, well all three of them actually. They say:

"Our review of your complaint has identified shortfalls in the service that HMRC provided to you, and these caused you undue stress and inconvenience. HMRC made errors whilst manually inputting .......etc.". "Due to these shortfalls in service, it is reasonable that HMRC provide you with an apology and a £100 redress payment. I have written to them to ask them to provide you with this. I have also provided them with feedback as to how their service to you was below the required standard, so that they consider any changes needed in future."

So a result I guess. Until the next time 😏

Since you have the proof that you have paid what was demanded, I would have ignored them and let them waste time and money coming after me. However, if you get the £100 perhaps it was worth the hassle.

15 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Since you have the proof that you have paid what was demanded, I would have ignored them and let them waste time and money coming after me. However, if you get the £100 perhaps it was worth the hassle.

Unfortunately Jim they had already issued me with a new taxcode to collect the supposed debt (again). But that wasn't the worst of their errors. They engaged in deliberate deception to cover up their manual inputting errors in another area of my tax. Unfortunately for them, when I exposed this deception to the Adjudicator with absolute proof of their deceit, they had nowhere to hide.

So much for an apology. I got a computer-generated letter showing the HMRC Director's name but not signed by him.