The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

Originally posted by IanMitchell

I'm going to agree with you there evildrneil.

I personally believe, as I am studying sociology this year ;), that "chavs" are a product of their poverty, frustration, social division and exclusion.

A bit like the 'original' skinheads 1970 (ish)

Whats new, really ;)

Please any pedants, don't bother to correct me on the year skinheads where at the fore, yours tiredly, draggle

Originally posted by Draggletail

A bit like the 'original' skinheads 1970 (ish)

Whats new, really ;)

I'm old enough to remember teddy boys, mods and rockers, as well as skinheads (who, by the way, are still around). There were also mohicans and goths (both also still around). All such groupings were usually teenage youths, rebelling against parental constraints and the norms of society.

The construct of chavs is, I think, something different. I always considered this construct as referring to a deprived class of society that aspire to better things. In the main, they are identified by their dress, burberrys, etc., for which they are often mocked. I think the term chav is now used to encompass a wider group, mainly concentrating on attitude and anti-social behaviour, e.g., spitting at bus drivers, 'joy'-riders and similar.

for starters, thanks for the support panda and why does it seem like bramall lane is in the middle of what looks like a council estate (dont qoute me on that), which are filled with chavs. I live on the edge of hackenthorpe (which is regarded as one of the better areas) and there are tonnes of chavs there.

Seconldy, it is true that you wont see many chavs in NYC, although after having just come back from there I can say that they are mostly based in places like harlem, (North Manhatten) and in the subway.

Archived