The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

Originally posted by ADC_28

In NY - the rich Hampton Beach style people wear Burberry. Quite a shock the last time I was there....

I was in Japan a couple of years ago and the Japanese go mad for Burberry stuff. Brought quite a smile to my face because they think it's so quintessentially English and stylish. They'd be sending all to the Oxfam shop if they knew the real truth that they look like Chavs! :D

Australia doesn't have Chavs quite as we know them in Britain - the Aussies wouldn't know how to dress themselves up that smart, for a start ;) , but the country is certainly over run with slack-jawed, white trash. Most of them are identifiable by their check shirts, bare feet, bad mullets and ever-present tin of beer in one hand.

You've seen the stereotype of the yobbish, beer-swilling Aussie bloke? Well, those people really do exist in great numbers here. They are similar to the American hillbillies in many respects.

In the warmer cities (Perth, Brisbane and especially Darwin), shoes are optional and a great many white people go around barefoot much of the time.

We have the equivalent to chavs in the USA. Its called the NBA, or National Basketball Association. However these chavs walk around with millions of bucks for the sole ability of throwing a large ball into a small net from a specific height and distance. However we do have sportsmen of high caliber who are definitely not chavs. They are called Lance Armstrong.

To be on Jerry Springer you must a. live in a trailer b. Have a southern accent c. Have an IQ of 60 d. need the $100 dollar fee for participating so you can stock up the freezer with Bud.

Jerry should run for President . He couldn't be much worse than the clown who's there now.

Originally posted by Fareast

Mojoworking ,

Not all of them are in Australia , though.

A lot of them ended up in Earl's Court .

Plus , you can send us all your Chavs , if you'll only take back Rolf Harris and Clive James .

Deal , cobber ?

Farest, I believe there are 300,000 Aussies in Britain at any one time, so there's a fair chance many of them would fit the brain dead okker bill. Some of them are even in the Aussie cricket team!

You're behind the times with Earl's Court by the way. The Aussies don't congregate in kangaroo valley now like they did in the 50s and 60s. They're everywhere now!

Mojoworking

Yeah , youre right , I suppose I am a bit out-of-date with the Earl's Court bit.

To be serious , maybe I've been lucky but all the Australians and Kiwis I've met , have been great. They're more open and friendly than us Brits , on average , more down to earth and good boozers , to boot !

Still , trying to get rid of Rolf and Clive , though !

Originally posted by Fareast

Mojoworking

Yeah , youre right , I suppose I am a bit out-of-date with the Earl's Court bit.

To be serious , maybe I've been lucky but all the Australians and Kiwis I've met , have been great. They're more open and friendly than us Brits , on average , more down to earth and good boozers , to boot !

Still , trying to get rid of Rolf and Clive , though !

The Aussies who can afford (or are inclined) to travel tend to have a more cosmopolitan outlook and so are usually OK, I agree.

When you say they're "more down to earth" I find that often translates as "crude, drunken, uncultured and downright obnoxious", I'm afraid.

Why so unkind to Clive? He's a rare breed - an intellectual Aussie. Apart from the wonderful Barry Humphries and Germaine Greer I can't think of too many more.

Rolf is OK, too. He's done very well considering he's little more than a bumbling painter and decorator.

The kind of Aussies who should be banished to the outback are that dreadful Crocodile Hunter bloke Steve Irwin. He represents everything that's bad about Australia

I work in the same building as Burberry Germany. Twice a year they have a warehouse sale and the place is swarming with little Japanese women spending fortunes. But chaves don't wear real Burberry surely, just some rip off version, because the stuff is expensive.

German chavs dress like gangster rappers, but still have the Fred Flinstone jeans on with their base caps just resting on the top of their heads. Wo came up with that? :loopy:

But it works both ways. Some friends from London came over recently and kitted themsleves out in cheap Birkenstocks, saying they were the height of cool in the UK. They walked around town in them and got funny looks from people, because here Birkenstocks are used by the vegetarian wolly jumpers brown rice brigade as carpet slippers....

What is it with Burberry?

Its fooking minging and I would not be seen dead in it.

Its not like CK or Armani really is it?

Going back to chavs again, what is it with us in this country trying to copy america???

We now have gangs on our streets, like the US does except the US gangs dress better and are actually quite hard.. we now have 'cruises' and people modding up their cars- trying to emulate The Fast & The Furious.

I find it quite sad.

Originally posted by thestruggle

Do you think place like America, Austalia, and other places in Europe have chavs? I wonder if they dress the same and stuff.

I'm sick of the word chav now, I wonder if the other place have there own word for them.?

Apparently the Australian equivalent of chavs are called "Bogans".. :rolleyes:

Archived