The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

Crikey, that's an old picture.

There are flowers around the fountain and, well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, Goodwin Fountain is working!!!!!!

(Couldn't you have sat on one of the benches? You make the place look untidy>:hihi: )

aye those were the days :P

never mind working its not even there now :( *cries*

sit on a bench? you mad?

even worse is when you see the parents especially the mothers in matching track suits and argos gold.what would they do if sports soccer and the other cheap trash sports shops shut down?

They never will though, cos the Chavs and their parents keep them in business.

And the MDs of Sports World and Elizabeth Duke are laughing all the way to the Bank.

And no, I don't buy jewellery from Argos nor do I buy sporting goods from Sports World, last thing I bought from Argos was a 21" flat screen telly.

For those who appreciate Monty Python's Flying Circus:

Figiss: (educated voice) Well I feel very keenly that the idiot is a pan of the old village system, and as such has a vital role to play in a modern rural society, because you see ... (suddenly switches to rural accent) ooh ar ooh ar before the crops go grey are in the medley and the birds slides nightly on the oor ar ... (vicar passes and gives him sixpence) Ooh ar thankee, Vicar ... (educated voice) There is this very real need in society for someone whom almost anyone can look down on and ridicule. And this is the role that ... ooh ar naggy gamly rangle tandie oogly noogle Goblie oog ... (passing lady gives .him sixpence) Thank you, Mrs Thompson... this is the role that I and members of my family have fulfilled in this village for the past four hundred years... Good morning, Mr Jenkins, ICI have increased their half-yearly dividend, I see.

The rest of the sketch can be read here: http://www.orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/theidiot.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm doing an article of Chavism and just wondered:

Is Sheffield, a 'chavvy' city?

What defines a chav?

Is anybody offended by this term, or believe that it is an attack on the White Wokring Class?

Can we compare this term to racist/homophobic terminology, or is it somewhat a much more lighthearted, jokey name?

Guest Mod_Man

I can't stand the term, it's another one of those terms that people just throw at anybody who slightly fits the bill. Yes there is an underclass in society, yes there are thugs and criminals and yes there are people who like a certain fashion.

It's almost like we want our own term because we can't use n*****, p*** and ch**** anymore. I believe society will always pick on what is seen as not the norm and because we've been told it's not alright to use such terms for minorities we use them against our own instead.

Why not just call a misbehaved youth just that or a criminal just that? Instead we use a term that is aimed at making the working class/under class look stupid. People throw it around at anything that they don't like. I've heard many examples where people have labelled kids stood at a bus stop as chavs or teens walking the street as chav.

Would they automatically say asian or black kids doing the same thing was a bunch of p**** or n******? No, (well not most of us) because socially we like to think we're above it.

I believe the term Chav is a derogatory term to describe a white underclass that seems to be blossoming largely as a sound-bite or media term of reference.

Some cultures have often felt the need to denigrate a certain section of the community in order to mark themselves out against themselves and also to keep that stereotypical grouping in their place. People tend to live up to the label they receive from their peers.

As it is no longer as socially acceptable to reduce blacks, women and foreigners to cultural stereotypes as was the case in the past. The rise of 'The Chav' seems to fill this void particularly in the nastier tabloids.

I can't help wondering whether the fact that poor white boys for the first time top the charts as the social group most likely to fail in education has anything to do with this new and distasteful social trend.

I understand that some people see it as a harmless term as was the 'N' word once upon ago but I believe we as humans fail to realize the impact of such a huge and sweeping generalization has on vunerable individuals. I, for one would never use this term.

Under every hood there's a human life ready to become labeled and alienated.

I can't stand the term, it's another one of those terms that people just throw at anybody who slightly fits the bill. Yes there is an underclass in society, yes there are thugs and criminals and yes there are people who like a certain fashion.

It's almost like we want our own term because we can't use n*****, p*** and ch**** anymore. I believe society will always pick on what is seen as not the norm and because we've been told it's not alright to use such terms for minorities we use them against our own instead.

Why not just call a misbehaved youth just that or a criminal just that? Instead we use a term that is aimed at making the working class/under class look stupid. People throw it around at anything that they don't like. I've heard many examples where people have labelled kids stood at a bus stop as chavs or teens walking the street as chav.

Would they automatically say asian or black kids doing the same thing was a bunch of p**** or n******? No, (well not most of us) because socially we like to think we're above it.

I hate the term too- that and 'minging' they are just so unsavoury. Having said that, think Ive seen a few youths about that might fit the chav label

Archived