The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

dont some people use the word "chavvy" as partner, i think derby/nottingham maybe?

In some parts of the South of England for instance if a couple have a baby it is sometimes referred to as so and so has "had a chavvy'.

Just casue I'm an awkard sod and feel perdantic..... ;)

the term 'Chav' actually derives from the Anglo-Romani l(Romany) language where the word 'chav' means child/baby or mate depending on the context it's used; a chavi is a male child. :)

It's an acronym that has been used on Merseyside since at least the early 1980s. It was used in conjunction with football hooliganism and its followers.

Errr, those are Scallies, something completely different!!! Scally culture revolved around football and international travel to see matches, which brought about the Scallies' love of 'designer sports gear' bought in places like Italy and Spain (it was cool back in the 80s to wear pastel Lacoste!), and this was coupled with a love of 60s/70s music such as Pink Floyd and The Doors. Most defiantly NOT chav!

Chav stems from the Charvers of the North east who were around at least 10 years ago. There's a particular 'look', for girls involving a 'coke can' fringe, wet look perm scraped back into a scrunchie, creole earrings, clown pendants , sovs and tracksuits. If you look back, Viz were satirising them years before the term 'chav' came to prominence, in the strip 'Tasha Slappa'. The origin of 'council housed and violent' is totally made up - it stems from both North east dialect and romany words that are similar. Now 'chav' as opposed to 'charver' has a broader meaning.

I notice some words I used have been censored, this is fair enough if they caused offence I apologise, that's not what I intended to do. I was using the words as an example of how I see the word chav and what words it seems to have substituted. You see, I and I'm sure many other people find the word chav offensive, to me it is a word that is used to put a proportion of the "mainly" white population down in the same way the censored words are used. So at what point does a word become worthy of censorship? Is chav just an acceptable throw away remark?

It came across as an excuse to use some taboo words and get away with it.

In some parts of the South of England for instance if a couple have a baby it is sometimes referred to as so and so has "had a chavvy'.

no, no, no, no, nooooo, it's called avin' a sprog or sproggin'. The only other term I have heard is Chabby for a child but most widely used for a child in the South is kids.

Archived