The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

There have been other threads on this sad subject - the bigots and

spite-mongers had a ball.

The acronym 'C.H.A.V.' says more about the attitudes of those who like to demean, rather than the youth of today; 'Council House and Violent', what an appalling generalisation.

'(Ch)eltenham (Av)erage' is another possible origin; - though 'chavvy' comes from the Romany for 'child'. (As an earlier post suggested).

I'm doing an article of Chavism and just wondered:

Is Sheffield, a 'chavvy' city?

What defines a chav?

Is anybody offended by this term, or believe that it is an attack on the White Wokring Class?

Can we compare this term to racist/homophobic terminology, or is it somewhat a much more lighthearted, jokey name?

I don't like the word because it is a cheap jibe/insult used to attack some of the poorer members of society. It is a lazy word to basically have a go at people who are different in lifestyle and outlook.

I'm doing an article of Chavism and just wondered:

Is Sheffield, a 'chavvy' city?

What defines a chav?

Is anybody offended by this term, or believe that it is an attack on the White Wokring Class?

Can we compare this term to racist/homophobic terminology, or is it somewhat a much more lighthearted, jokey name?

The word chav has nothing to do with racist / homophobic themes. Colour has nothing to do with it. Not sure why someone earlier made a comment of racial names but chav is more of a social group class rather than race. Its just that there is a larger number of white people that fit the criteria as they are the majority.

Calling someone the N word has much more historical degrading meaning than chav as chavs have not been victims in modern society.

Errr, those are Scallies, something completely different!!! Scally culture revolved around football and international travel to see matches, which brought about the Scallies' love of 'designer sports gear' bought in places like Italy and Spain (it was cool back in the 80s to wear pastel Lacoste!), and this was coupled with a love of 60s/70s music such as Pink Floyd and The Doors. Most defiantly NOT chav!

Chav stems from the Charvers of the North east who were around at least 10 years ago. There's a particular 'look', for girls involving a 'coke can' fringe, wet look perm scraped back into a scrunchie, creole earrings, clown pendants , sovs and tracksuits. If you look back, Viz were satirising them years before the term 'chav' came to prominence, in the strip 'Tasha Slappa'. The origin of 'council housed and violent' is totally made up - it stems from both North east dialect and romany words that are similar. Now 'chav' as opposed to 'charver' has a broader meaning.

I know exactly what a scally is thank you. Chav as I said was used in the early mid -eighties, mainly but not exclusively, by the Irish population of Merseyside. It did refer to "kids" originally but was then taken over by the scallies and some bright spark came up with the acronym.

As for your description of a scally, don't believe all the books you read !!

Archived