The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

So calling someone a chav may be unpleasant for the chav in question but it may also be helpful to them because it could deter them from following a path which could end in them being stabbed to death by another chav in an utterly pointless argument and encourage them to follow another path which leads to them becoming a more civilised person.

Ah, right, so the name calling is a way to help them ?

I get it now, thanks.

Ah, right, so the name calling is a way to help them ?

I get it now, thanks.

What name calling are we talking about? Are we talking about the discussion of chavs (which certainly happens as this thread is an example of it) or are we talking about verbally abusing chavs in public (which I have never heard happen or even heard of happening)? Either way, the name calling isn't intended to help them but if they thought about the reasons for it they may become aware of their foolishness and perhaps do something to change it.

Lots of people manage to live their lives without drawing the attention of people around them to themselves, getting into altercations over trivial matters or being detained by the police. Lots of people travel widely, are allowed entry to many establishments without question and go about their business without causing disruption, offence or harm to others. However, some people act like yobs and if they do they can have no complaint if they are then viewed as yobs and treated like yobs.

This lesson isn't a complicated one but some people never seem to learn it and some have no intention of learning it.

Errr, those are Scallies, something completely different!!! Scally culture revolved around football and international travel to see matches, which brought about the Scallies' love of 'designer sports gear' bought in places like Italy and Spain (it was cool back in the 80s to wear pastel Lacoste!), and this was coupled with a love of 60s/70s music such as Pink Floyd and The Doors. Most defiantly NOT chav!

Chav stems from the Charvers of the North east who were around at least 10 years ago. There's a particular 'look', for girls involving a 'coke can' fringe, wet look perm scraped back into a scrunchie, creole earrings, clown pendants , sovs and tracksuits. If you look back, Viz were satirising them years before the term 'chav' came to prominence, in the strip 'Tasha Slappa'. The origin of 'council housed and violent' is totally made up - it stems from both North east dialect and romany words that are similar. Now 'chav' as opposed to 'charver' has a broader meaning.

The VIZ character 'Tasha Slappa' first incarnation was called 'Kappa Slappa'. However the high class purveyor of all things sporty objected and so 'Tasha' was born.

• 2 weeks later...

Just something to add - I live between Wisewood & Walkley & have had a few awakenings from the chavs in recent weeks.

First, a couple of weeks ago we had a few hoodies trying to break into a car across the road by smashing the window, but ran off as soon as the alarm went off. Then a few nights ago I saw some kids about 14-15 years old, sneaking onto a gennel, all with hoods down to obscure their faces and one holding a baseball bat - god know what they were upto.

Just take my advice - don't walk home alone after dark, get a taxi!

I've not read all of this megathread, but from what I have read it's clear that we are as class-ridden as we ever were. Surely it is not acceptable to write off and abuse people because of the way they dress, the income they have, the education they have?

The word chav is a way for people to feel superior and smug and I think using it is a form of snobbery. I would never label someone a chav because it is pejorative and based on stereotypes.

I cannot believe how self-righteous people are on here.

Also, how can you equate criminal activity with the way a person dresses?

I've not read all of this megathread, but from what I have read it's clear that we are as class-ridden as we ever were.

More so, now even the working class has a group to look down on.

Archived