Police Are Now Social Services?

I don’t see that parents or the police are responsible for drug use. Young people have always experimented with substances such as tobacco, alcohol and other drugs -prescription or otherwise. I’m in my mid 60s and dabbled a lot in the two former and less so in the two latter when I was younger. I stopped when I matured into a future offering me and my partner stable careers with  economic certainty, a prospect many young people don’t have these days

11 hours ago, catmiss said:

I don’t see that parents or the police are responsible for drug use. Young people have always experimented with substances such as tobacco, alcohol and other drugs -prescription or otherwise. I’m in my mid 60s and dabbled a lot in the two former and less so in the two latter when I was younger. I stopped when I matured into a future offering me and my partner stable careers with  economic certainty, a prospect many young people don’t have these days

When I was young, I dont recall houses being raided that had been turned into canabis factories. There are people stopped at airports because they are smuggling drugs or acting as a drug mule.

Even though drugs have always been illegal, there are more of them, the police are failing. And what the laws is doing, is making criminals of the users and sellers. So the problem is much worse. Walk down some streets, and you can smell it.

I personally believe we cannot enforce the law, it needs changing. Do we want to tighten it, or loosen it? I would make all drugs legal.

Edited by El Cid

41 minutes ago, El Cid said:

When I was young, I dont recall houses being raid that had been turned into canabis factories. There are people stopped at airports because they are smuggling drugs or acting as a drug mule.

Even though drugs have always been illegal, there are more of them, the police are failing. And what the laws is doing, is making criminals of the users and sellers. So the problem is much worse. Walk down some streets, and you can smell it.

I personally believe we cannot enforce the law, it needs changing. Do we want to tighten it, or loosen it? I would make all drugs legal.

I wouldn't - based on their potential for harm if used wrongly, or in some cases, at all.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I wouldn't - based on their potential for harm if used wrongly, or in some cases, at all.

But what we are doing now, is not working. Do you agree that drugs are one of the polices main problems?

All 'legal' drugs are controlled by hundreds of laws. Some are local, some are national some are international.

If the 'illegal' drugs were made legal then the we would end up with hundreds of new laws to control them.

This would not make the job of police, health and social services any easier and introduce drug testing for all in the workplace.

1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

the harmful effects will be just as harmful if the drugs were legal.

But more widespread if you can just walk in to a corner shop and ask for half a dozen wraps of coke (for instance) Currently, because they are 'illegal', they are consideably harder to get hold of.

On 20/02/2021 at 12:16, Delbow said:

Domestic violence is a crime, and a serious one. 2 women are killed by their partners every week in the UK, so it's absolutely right that the police are involved. Domestic violence is exacerbated by substance misuse, alcohol dependency, poor mental health and a range of other social and health problems, and guess what all the governments since 2010 have been busy doing? Taking money away from the public services that help people address those problems. This means that the police more and more become de facto mental health and social care services, which they are not trained or skilled in. That has been a consistent political choice by the Conservative Party for the last ten years. That means more children growing up in households where there is domestic violence, which negatively affects their life chances, their education and outcomes, so that they are more likely to become perpetrators or victims of domestic violence later in life. This is what people have been voting for for the last decade.

....... of course there would be no domestic violence under a Labour government eh, mental health issues have been recently exacerbated by a national lockdown, but have also become more prevalent by media induced paranoia, both online and in the mainstream, societies so called 'progress' over the last 30 years or so has been etched with the constant desire to claim some sort of victim hood, there has always been good and bad people and everything inbetween, but as a society we have lost perspective in a cult like self righteous pursuit, very little to do with your nonsensical claim about what people have been voting for, because people have generally just been voting against the alternatives, or have you not noticed !

Police work much like the work of many others these days is hindered by much of the modern day nonsense driven by so called progressives.