Anyone Remember Sutherlands Spread Factory

On 22/02/2021 at 06:53, mikeG said:

We had a neighbour in Fulwood. Surname Reynolds. Rumour had it that he had connections with Sutherlands. Thats going back to 1965.

I recall meeting the Turner family in 1980,

They apparently owned Sutherlands then.

Anybody have info?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, DonEvans said:

I'm pretty sure that Sutherlands built a new factory between Swallownest and Wales Bar in the 1960's

That's correct. The factory is still there but not Sutherlands any more I believe. 

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

That's correct. The factory is still there but not Sutherlands any more I believe. 

Remember the factory at Wales near Swallownest think it's called greencore now in 80's beef spread chicken and crab 🦀 

18 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Remember the factory at Wales near Swallownest think it's called greencore now in 80's beef spread chicken and crab 🦀 

That's the one. We used to be able to smell meat being cooked when the wind was in the right....or wrong...direction.

• Like 1

I was only in my teens at the time and now in my 70's but i recall that the factory stood alone in what was otherwise fields. I see now looking at Google Earth that a number of other units have sprung up around it since. I haven't been back in the area for about 30 years

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/02/2021 at 09:44, Granny Marys said:

Morning all

Just wondered if any of you remembered Sutherland Spreads?

hi,I have just found this. I remember speaking ith mr. E.T. a couple of times. we were always amused to see his roller come into the company car pa rk with him driving and his chauffuer sat in the back. O.K. here are a few names for you. 

Robert Sutherland.  Peter [himself] Sutherland  Nickolas, David, alistair and peter John. 

John Parkinson [[production director] Ken Gates bakery. gladys & norma supervisors Jack Bough sales director  Ken Palfreyman office. douglas and " big john" van loaders  Ken & Howard warehouse. 

I cant think of any others at the moment, maybe someone else can give some mames?