Libraries During Lockdown

Don't get me wrong, the Central Library is a gem, purpose-built and very precious, but over time the primary function of libraries has changed, for obvious reasons, so to make sure we offer that new function we have to understand that the old building is very limiting. That doesn't mean the building doesn't have a future, it would make a wonderful museum, it has big bright 'galleries' and the design lends itself to that function. Sheffield Museums have lots of work in storage, so that would be a nice solution - expand the Graves Gallery.  Of course that then would mean that the council needs to fund both the museum AND the new library... but maybe the Lottery could fund the museum?

Basically what I'm saying is this: We need to be flexible to preserve and improve the best of what we have. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, spilldig said:

As of last week The Central Library's catalogue disappeared off  the website. We asked at the library but they couldn't tell us why. Anyone know what is happening?

I was in my local library at the weekend to drop some books back, and chatting with the librarian was informed that the old website link I might have stored in favourites was no longer the correct one and I should use the new web address

https://library.sheffield.gov.uk/client/en_GB/default

It's finding stuff from the Central Library, and is a great deal quicker to search.

Maybe answers your question?

Edited by Bargepole23

23 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I was in my local library at the weekend to drop some books back, and chatting with the librarian was informed that the old website link I might have stored in favourites was no longer the correct one and I should use the new web address

https://library.sheffield.gov.uk/client/en_GB/default

It's finding stuff from the Central Library, and is a great deal quicker to search.

Maybe answers your question?

Thanks Bargepole, we have now found the new web address.

Not according to their website; https://shefflibraries.blogspot.com/p/live-library-status-tracker.html

From the 12th April, the following services will be available from the City Council managed Libraries and Archives Service,

• Order and Collect
  • Public access computers - by appointment only
  • Home Library Service
  • Online eLibrary available 24/7 for library members
  • A programme of online events
  • Searches in the Archives - by appointment only

Gleadless library is the one on White lane. The difficulty with opening that one is, it is attached to the doctors and while the covid 19 is ongoing you cannot blame some of the volunteers who run it not wanting to work there. Also the people who are vaccinated for covid19 at the doctors pass through the library.