Council Tax Rise Higher Than Inflation Again.

Ours is up 4.91% v 2020

Was expecting it to be higher this year, its £11 per month more - not happy but not much that can be done.

When I read your post Mr Fisk, it made  start thinking about the recent protests.

The mass protesting against the Poll tax years ago seemed to work. At least it was changed-coincidence or otherwise. Wasn't that on the 'Iron lady's' watch?

It could happen again, especially if the public are being squeezed so much.

There certainly seems to be enough people  willing to congregate  at these protests at present.

19 minutes ago, Janus said:

When I read your post Mr Fisk, it made  start thinking about the recent protests.

The mass protesting against the Poll tax years ago seemed to work. At least it was changed-coincidence or otherwise. Wasn't that on the 'Iron lady's' watch?

There certainly seems to be enough people  willing to congregate  at these protests at present.

protesting about paying more tax so we can fund the police properly would seem to be be counter productive to all our interests.

Also worth noting in Sheffield we had a vote on how much to fund the police by and presumably the rise reflects that (I voted for the max increase because I am fed up with the police unable to deal with crime due to lack of resources).

Edited by nightrider

Just now, nightrider said:

protesting about paying more tax so we can fund the police properly would seem to be be counter productive to all our interests.

If we were protesting about funding the HNS properly, I'd be ok with that, similarly for schools, care of the elderly and so on.  Not so sure about the police though, especially as they keep getting over the rate of inflation rises year on year

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

I feel the government should be clamping down hard on those that dodge paying large amounts of tax that are due. That would be a big help.

The general public pay more than enough council tax. It is the easiest route being taken by the gov, instead of doing the above.

Regarding the police, they do the 'spade work' and many criminals get lenient sentences, hence the many repeat offenders.

This just undermines the hard work that the police do, and the risk to their health and   safety in general.

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

I feel the government should be clamping down hard on those that dodge paying large amounts of tax that are due. That would be a big help.

The general public pay more than enough council tax. It is the easiest route being taken by the gov, instead of doing the above.

Regarding the police, they do the 'spade work' and many criminals get lenient sentences, hence the many repeat offenders.

This just undermines the hard work that the police do, and the risk to their health and   safety in general.

I disagree. In nations with good public services the tax burden is much higher on ordinary people. They don't get them by expecting only the rich to pay for it. We pay less tax and get the services to go with it.

3 hours ago, Janus said:

Yes I recall poll tax riots.

A lot of councils have lost budgets due to cutbacks from current government.

Perhaps one way some people just accept it that we are now paying more.

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Last year,  2020, total public spending was £835.5 billion.

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/

In 2019/20 tax receipts were £634,65 billion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284298/total-united-kingdom-hmrc-tax-receipts/

Something doesnt add up there, where does the £200 billion come from; council tax maybe?

Probably it's from borrowing. CT receipts for 2019-20 was around £36.3 billion and generated separately being financed by the councils CT receipts.

If you look at that first link it also states the Budget Deficit. For 2020 it was £0.9 billion and 2021 it's estimated at £278.8 billion which show what effect the coronavirus is having so far.

10 hours ago, nightrider said:

I disagree. In nations with good public services the tax burden is much higher on ordinary people. They don't get them by expecting only the rich to pay for it. We pay less tax and get the services to go with it.

Ahh, but we're paying more and getting less. That's the problem.

Due to years of Tory Austerity, Councils around the country have had to cut their services because the necessary funds have not been forthcoming from central government, and the councils have been left to manage as best they can with not enough money for increasing needs.

Yet Whitehall can afford god knows how many undisclosed £billions for more new Trident nuclear warheads, £2.6 million for a new 'Briefing room' at number 10, another £million on a  second brand new jet plane plus expensive paint job and refit for Boris, an estimated £90 billion on HS2, not to mention the £billions that have been wasted through mismanagement of the covid crisis, and an 11% payrise for MPs.

Remember that, next time your Council tax bill drops through the letter box and you still can't any satisfaction from the council.