May 6th 2021 Elections

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Sorry to interrupt, but is there any chance someone could tell me what happened in the other 2 votes?  I mean that of Crime Commissioner and whether we have only 10 people making decisions or go to the other model?  Can't seem to find the results anywhere!  We were all encouraged to vote three times, but I can only seem to find (all over the place!) the results of the first vote.

The police and crime commissioner one is still being counted at the moment. I think the PCC result is due tomorrow.

Not sure what happened with the council referendum part. Might be buried on their website somewhere

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The police and crime commissioner one is still being counted at the moment. I think the PCC result is due tomorrow.

Not sure what happened with the council referendum part. Might be buried on their website somewhere

presumably the governance referendum is still being counted too

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

On a BBC article (admittedly dated 23rd April) it says that counting in the referendum won't start until today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-56694652 (it says it right at the bottom)

On 09/05/2021 at 15:38, apelike said:

But do people want to pay more in taxation to provide for public services which they may not use. IIRC subsidised transport on the rates was found to be illegal after it was challenged in court for those very reasons. Its a case of why should I pay for what I'm not using or getting just so someone else can benefit. As pointed out before it's also a tenuous connection as well.

I wonder, do you have house insurance Mr Ape? 

I don't know why if you don't use it. Has your house ever burned down? No?

But all your insurance money is going to benefit other people whose houses have burnt down.

Why do you carry on paying just for their benefit?

Remember you are only an accident/old age away from needing all those services, and only a payslip away from needing the support of others.

It's incredibly selfish to think otherwise.  

Edited by Anna B

On 09/05/2021 at 18:23, apelike said:

Let me be a bit clearer. I was talking about subsidising the whole shebang for everyone and not talking about the benefits people already receive. I have no problems with certain subsidies for those in need or those that have earned them. I also get a free bus pass as I am ancient but I am also classed as one of of the poor as my only income is a pension and that is less than £9000 per annum. What is being discussed as it was before is the perceived loss of public services because of government cuts.  So has your bus pass suddenly expired because of government cuts?

I hope that we can improve public transport, so that the roads will be quieter for motorist and pedestrians, it may also stop the need for the clean air zones and the like.

I also want more help around drugs and gambling, it causes more crime, like people breaking into houses and taking the car keys. That is rife in some areas.

Our country can be much better.

Edited by El Cid

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

But all your insurance money is going to benefit other people whose houses have burnt down.

Remember you are only an accident/old age away from needing all those services, and only a payslip away from needing the support of others.

Indeed, only Daily Fail reading fools who spend their entire lives griping about people on those nasty benefits complain about people who are entitled to free Bus and Tram travel etc getting what they are entitled to, even if it is at taxpayers' expense.

2 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Indeed, only Daily Fail reading fools who spend their entire lives griping about people on those nasty benefits complain about people who are entitled to free Bus and Tram travel etc getting what they are entitled to, even if it is at taxpayers' expense.

At least that's the sort of thing that the taxes are meant for, not like some of the massive expenses etc of MPs taken, from our taxes.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

No I don't as I live in a Council property however you probably do because you own it and its private.

I don't, see above. I also don't have personal insurance, health insurance or any car insurance either. Do you?

????

I agree.

4 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

You get a lot of that on here.

Actually I have an idea. Let's have a transport referendum in Sheffield and ask the voters of Sheffield if they would like free bus travel for all paid for by a council tax rise. 

But... I think I already know what the result would be.

Edited by apelike