May 6th 2021 Elections

Don't forget you have the opportunity today to change the way Sheffield City Council is run.

Unfortunately 40% of Sheffield people still don't know about it.

There are three ballot papers: one to vote for your chosen councillor, one to vote for a police Commissioner, and a third to vote for how the council is run. Do you want it to continue to be run by a Council Leader and 9 other councillors who make up a cabinet that make all the decisions, or by a Committee containing a number of councillors, representative of the percentage vote for each party?

You decide.   

Edited by Anna B

On 05/05/2021 at 09:45, drolnhoj said:

So I've visited the "whoismycouncillor" site and all I can find is a list of candidates and their party. Nothing seems to tell me what they are about. I have only had one leaflet through the door and this is from a candidate who is alledgedy under investigation for something (not sure what), so I do not believe I have sufficient information to vote for any of the candidates and do not believe any of them have demonstrated enough to deserve a vote. I kind of understand the reforendum vote but have still had to actively search for info. If all areas are as devoid of information as I am, then I can only think the results will be based on party preference. 

Its a partisan website, which is why many candidates seem to have boycotted it. 

22 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Its a partisan website, which is why many candidates seem to have boycotted it. 

What makes you say that?

I don't think I'm partisan, I just think we all should have more access to information about the candidates whoever they may be. 

Edited by Anna B

On 05/05/2021 at 09:45, drolnhoj said:

So I've visited the "whoismycouncillor" site and all I can find is a list of candidates and their party. Nothing seems to tell me what they are about. I have only had one leaflet through the door and this is from a candidate who is alledgedy under investigation for something (not sure what), so I do not believe I have sufficient information to vote for any of the candidates and do not believe any of them have demonstrated enough to deserve a vote. I kind of understand the referendum vote but have still had to actively search for info. If all areas are as devoid of information as I am, then I can only think the results will be based on party preference. 

Anyone can still vote for whichever party they prefer as always.

The referendum is about how those elected councillors work together. Out of the 84 councillors, only 10 have any real say and they make all the decisions, that just doesn't seem fair to me.

I don't support any particular party in Sheffield (except I wouldn't vote Tory even if I was tortured,) so I don't think I'm partisan, I just want what's best for Sheffield, and the way it's fallen in status and missed out on all sorts of things over the years really pains me. We have to do something to get it going again.

Edited by Anna B

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What makes you say that?

I don't think I'm partisan, I just think we all should have more access to information about the candidates whoever they may be. 

Many people have pointed out on social media groups that its run by Labour. Many also spotted that certain questions were only asked of Labour candidates (odd if its non-partisan).

Edited by nightrider

What are peoples expectations and experiences of the campain in your area?

Do you want a leaflet through your letterbox, a telephone call, maybe to see the candidate whilst shopping or on twitter/facebook?

Leaflets can cost a lot of money if they are not elected. The main partys obviously do things differently to the small partys, the small partys may well be just a couple of individuals with a passion for politics.