May 6th 2021 Elections

Sorry, I think you are living in cloud-cuckoo land - the 'committees' will be formed on the proportions of the parties overall majorities (AIUI), so in the case of Sheffield, they will be stuffed with Labour members.

Correct me if I've misread the intentions, please.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, I think you are living in cloud-cuckoo land - the 'committees' will be formed on the proportions of the parties overall majorities (AIUI), so in the case of Sheffield, they will be stuffed with Labour members.

I agree, nothing will change.

I have a greater chance of becoming involved because I am a union member. But I am sure I will be cast aside if I am too off-message.

Just now, El Cid said:

I agree, nothing will change.

I have a greater chance of becoming involved because I am a union member. But I am sure I will be cast aside if I am too off-message.

Thanks, @ElCid - thought I had read the proposals correctly.

Out of curiosity, how would your union membership affect your chances? - I thought the 'committees' were formed of councillors?

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

According to what I've read in Wikipedia Labour currently have 13 seats, Lib Dems 11, and Greens 4, so it's all to play for. If that was reflected in decision making it would make a difference.

Edited by Anna B

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks, @ElCid - thought I had read the proposals correctly.

Out of curiosity, how would your union membership affect your chances? - I thought the 'committees' were formed of councillors?

It is just an assumption. My Labour party membership is half price because I am a member of a union. They do both work together.

As an individual, I object to union subs going to just Labour. I am sure union members have a range of views, although few would support an anti-union Tory party.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Do you have a problem with democracy?

No - but none of those parties particularly represent me, or my views.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It is just an assumption. My Labour party membership is half price because I am a member of a union. They do both work together.

As an individual, I object to union subs going to just Labour. I am sure union members have a range of views, although few would support an anti-union Tory party.

OK  - I understand. Although I was Branch Secretary for about 18 months many years ago, I didn't pay the Party levy, and all I got out of it was a load of extra paperwork and a wasted weekend in Scarborough. 🙂

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

On the contrary. Your councillors do represent you. That’s a fundamental of democracy.  They represent their electorate, of which you are a part.

More than 50% of the country have to live with a far right government which they disapprove of.  I’m sure a few green councillors won’t ruin your life.

Edited by sibon

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

OK  - I understand. Although I was Branch Secretary for about 18 months many years ago, I didn't pay the Party levy, and all I got out of it was a load of extra paperwork and a wasted weekend in Scarborough. 🙂

That's why people should get more involved in politics. You can write to your MP, watch discussions and debates on TV, sign petitions, go and see your local MP at surgeries usually held locally every month where you can ask them questions and challenge their views.

Locally, apart from trying your luck and standing for election as an independent Councillor, you can go down to the council meetings in the town hall and watch proceedings, or table a question and ask the councillors direct. You can also contact your councillors by post, phone, or private meetings although in my experience this is harder to do.

There's the freedom of information law on your side too, so use it. You could join a party, or there are also various lobbying groups you could join (which is how the IOC managed to get the local referendum question on the ballot paper,) or if all else fails you can join a protest and tie yourself to the railings.

Remember politicians like nothing better than being left alone to quietly get on with screwing up the City/Country, so don't give them the opportunity. Putting a tick in a box once every 5 years just doesn't cut it. It's your country, so at least let them know what you think.