Ordinary Sheffielders.

Nah then Hauxwell, We haven't been back to see Lol, but I notice that its almost a year and a quarter since we were last at his house. I suppose a courtesy visit wouldn't go amiss. We don't want Lol to think we are scrounging though.

Whats the betting Matt and myself coming home after the visit with a giant sized sack apiece full of vegetables. lol. You see, Lol is a very generous person. Its for sure I won't be giving his address out to you forrumers though. lol.

On 05/10/2022 at 19:54, zakes said:

Nah then Hauxwell, We haven't been back to see Lol, but I notice that its almost a year and a quarter since we were last at his house. I suppose a courtesy visit wouldn't go amiss. We don't want Lol to think we are scrounging though.

Whats the betting Matt and myself coming home after the visit with a giant sized sack apiece full of vegetables. lol. You see, Lol is a very generous person. Its for sure I won't be giving his address out to you forrumers though. lol.

It’s a shame about not giving the address out, but I understand why.  If you do go to see Lol let us know how you go on.  

6 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Good to see ordinary Sheffielders giving sometimes extra ordinary stories , more the merrier .

Well then you better get posting another nice story to keep the thread going for people like me to read.

Edited by hauxwell

3 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Well then you better get posting another nice story to keep the thread going for people like me to read.

There are a couple swirling around in my noggin , A poster on these pages could be a good subject but would he or she recognise them selves . You never know .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

There are a couple swirling around in my noggin , A poster on these pages could be a good subject but would he or she recognise them  selves . You never know .

It's a lie!

It were only cheap costume jewelry from Woolie's anyway.

I've just remembered another little bit of boring old tripe from my young lad days....

LANCE WILSON.

Now Lance had a farm off Grange Lane, bottom of Shiregreen.

He retired when they drove the M1 through it.

Now, during the 6 weeks holidays, me and my mate would pay him a visit, have a look at his animals etc, and have a chat, he was a friendly sort of guy, straight John Bull, and if he wasn't too busy he'd  mek us a cuppa...

So on this particular morning we decided to make a visit, as we approached his farm, Lance was leading a young Heifer by the nose towards a field at the end of Grange Lane, this young cow was having none of it, and really dug her heels in, Lance was pulling and tugging on the rope, so I rushed down the lane to help, but when I was nearly there, the heifer gave Lance an almighty push in the chest and knocked him over a stone wall !!!

All we could see, was Lance's legs thrashing about in the air as we ran faster to the scene..

I got to Lance first, but the heifer took one look at my mate, and decided she didn't really like him, and started to charge at him.

My mate set of down the lane, with the cow in hot pursuit, as I pulled Lance up, he saw what was happening, and shouted in best Captain Mainwaring fashion "You stupid boy' you are running the wrong way, run into the field that's where I want her"

None of us were ever brave enough to disobey Lance, so my mate did a quick about turn and legged it into the field, with the cow, who now appeared to be breathing fire, hot on his heels.

Lance climbed back over the wall, brushed himself down, closed the gate and said "Fancy a cuppa lads"

I can't ever remember how my mate escaped, but it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Mad Cow"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This true story is similar to my posts on my award winning thread...Nah then folks, during the 60s. The punch line comes at the end.

One Saturday during the autumn of 1973 or 1974.

Saturday afternoon in the Albert (Whitbread) pub, situated on the corner where Division Street and Cambridge Street meet each other. Having downed a pint, the landlord called time. It was 15:30...chucking out time.

Walking around town I had the urge to buy myself a record. I bought a record but forget whether it was from Violet May's shop, on the corner of Matilda Street and Earl Way, or whether it was from Rare and Racy on Devonshire Street. The gatefolded album was titled Tabernakel, and the musician was Jan Akkerman, a guitar virtuoso of the highest order. Akkerman also played with Dutch band, Focus. Jan Akkerman was then, and still is, my favourite musician.

Glancing at mi wetch I realised time was whipping on, I had to my get mi skates on...preferably roller skates. I needed to get to Sheffield University, and pronto too. I had to get to the University well before 17:00. The doorman at the door checked student ID's from 17:00 onwards. I had to avoid him by going in before he came on duty. The reason for going to the University was because I wanted to have my tea. I often came here for my tea on Saturdays...Favourites were Bangers & Mash, followed usually by Spotted Dick with yellow custard. The meals were so cheap to buy. After my meal I went straight to the TV room to catch the football results of the day. Watching the tele-printer in action was always fun. After the results, it was time to go downstairs to the bar area. The grid was lifted at the bar at 17:30 prompt. The bar area had loads of seating, plus a great selection of records on the jukebox. There was also a snooker room, two tables. That room now has four pool tables that replaced the snooker tables. This was many years before a new entrance was created on the Glossop Road side of the University building. The entrance is now brightly lit with a sign saying, Bar 1. An old friend of mine, Tim Guest, used to do the same as myself, regarding entry into the University on Saturdays.

I only supped a couple of pints at the Students Union, because I would be meeting drinking mates in town about 8ish. All this time guarding my elpee with my life lol. In town I drank slowly because I had no desire to get boozed up. I always liked to be in control of myself at all times.

In town I visited the pubs, The Raven(Whitbread),  The Albert (Whitbread), The Minerva (Whitbread), and The Nelson (Whitbread?). Occasionally I would call in at the Wapentake, which in my mind was a sort of replacement for the much loved Buccaneer Bar, on Leopold Street. At time called in the pubs, I was persuaded to go down to the Penthouse club, on Dixon Lane. Arriving at the Penthouse I was feeling dog tired. I had then to climb the 72 steps to get in the place. Whilst there I drank a couple of pints of crappy beer, but I did enjoy the two fried egg sandwiches I had. Then I decided to leave after an hour or so. I said my goodbyes to my drinking pals. I then headed for the exit, there I shook hands with one of the bouncers on parade, Mick Bond. Mick used to do a bit of driving for Joe Cocker before Joe became reight famous.

note. Mick Bond passed away a cuppla years ago. Sleep peacefully Mick RIP.

To be continued in the soon.