Ordinary Sheffielders.

21 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Anita . Anita Anita the name runs of your tongue like a song dun't it .

Anita Pawson was a pub land lady , She and her husband Kieth ran Wards pubs for many years .

She was a old fashioned kind of land lady , you know ,the frocks , the make up the banter she could mix it with the best off them .

The pubs she ran inc The Bridge at Heeley bottom bang on the river . Then The Nags Head at Shales moor .(her longest  tenancy and most popular pub) . Then finally The Tea Garden  at  Pitsmoor .

I got to know Anita well in the early 80's and she was shinning light who made me laugh every time I entered that side door into the Nags tap room .

Anita and Kieth were famous for one thing in the Sheffield pub trade , that is what was known as AFTER BIRD !!!!!!!! after bird was the time when all other pubs had shut their doors at what the law considered to be closing time but this  law some how passed over Anita's head , after 11 pm was when she and the pub came alive .

Jack the lads from over Town would converge on the Nags every Friday , Saturday and Sunday night knowing that they would be able to stay into the wee small hours or until Anita told them to go home which was usually when she had had enough of her favourite tipple Courvossier brandy from the top shelf as she called it .

If you uttered the words ," and one for your self love " then you had better get your wallet out because the answer was always the same " Oh how kind of you my dear a little one from the top shelf if you don't mind "  and that bottle of French brandy would be stretched for and lovingly pored into her favourite schooner glass .

Anita did suffer fools at all, She called a spade a spade .

I have seen the local so called hard men enter the Nags and start thinking they were going to be the usual centre of attention only to be swiftly brought down to Earth by Anita , 

I was in one Friday when one character who was the well known for dishing out his sort of settling a argument by landing a a unsuspecting acquaintance a crack on the jaw . This guy walked in on this particular Friday at bang on 11 PM , did his usual look around  then the words ,"four pints love" 

"Not in here that not " said Anita , It went very quiet , "What does that mean" said our celebrity , Tha heard replied Anita "Go where thas been drinking all night whats tha think this place is a charity " 

Now a bloke would probably haven't got away with it but this was Anita talking , eye to eye unblinking , You could have heard a pin drop , then big time Charley's crombies and all did a about turn and walked out the way they had walked without a word , Anita reached for top shelf looked around and said "whats your lot looking at " job done .

Bang across from Naggs head was The Ship Inn , (still there now a yuppie pub) .

Certain customers also used the Ship , The Ship did not do after bird so these certain few got into the habit of supping up at say 10-45 pm in there then coming across the road to get after time in the Nags , Anita got fed up with this thinking that they had been spending all the money in the Ship then useing the Nags just for late drinkies. ,She was right .

Any way one weekend at around 10 pm she put on her coat looked around us lot and said "righto its time to go across road and put cards ont table " 

My self and Jack Wasden accompanied her just for a laugh that we knew was coming .

We entered , Anita bought three halves looked around and the pointed , 'thee , thee, thee thee thee ,thee, her ,her ,her and her ," she said hand on hips , don't bother supping up qwick in here because from now on you al barred int Nags Head .

Downed her half and walked out followed by me and Jack pithing our selves .. 

more to come 

Cuttsie that brilliant,

Dunno weer tha sups, but I'll buy thi an half.......

Sod it, I'll give ball a kick, mek it a pint.

That was the Sheffield I knew and loved. Straight talk common sense.

And was respected for it. Even the hard men could be shamed, as long as they weren't too drunk, and most hard men didn't get legless in those day. Too dangerous.

She didn't have to worry about "offending" anybody or getting sued for discrimination, in case there was a gay, ethnic or religious minority among the group.  :)

Just now, Padders said:

Cuttsie that brilliant,

Dunno weer tha sups, but I'll buy thi an half.......

Sod it, I'll give ball a kick, mek it a pint.

Let me guess.

The Punch Bowl?

Edited by trastrick

14 minutes ago, trastrick said:

That was the Sheffield I knew and loved. Straight talk common sense.

And was respected for it. Even the hard men could be shamed, as long as they weren't too drunk, and most hard men didn't get legless in those day. Too dangerous.

She didn't have to worry about "offending" anybody or getting sued for discrimination, in case there was a gay, ethnic or religious minority among the group.  :)

Let me guess.

The Punch Bowl?

Very rare I drink alcohol at all now trastrick , I got in the bad habit of not being able to stop , A bottle of gin , whisky ,wine or whatever I thought it was a crime to leave it Half  full , Loved it really , it makes you sing like Sinatra , fieght like Rocky Marciano , make love like Clark Gable or  walk like John Wayne , 

But it means the gas bill might not get paid , or that step that leads onto stairs suddenly grows a foot or two and trips thi up and tha falls down stairs .apart from that it gives one the gout . so I am as bright eyed as a Owl these days , back to mi 21 year old weight and can go in a pub and just have an  orangeade .

No driving problems now my old car used to look like one of them scrappers in Coopers yard ,  some how our gate post used to jump int front of me on Friday neet and put another dint int front  wing . One dint lead to another back in the day .

sober as a vicar now ,if vicars are sober that is .

11 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Very rare I drink alcohol at all now and can go in a pub and just have an  orangeade .

Well that is a relieve, I did promise you a pint and I've not slept all night...

Last time I bought anybody a pint was way back in the 60s,

Orangeade it is then.

Someone once called me the tightest B on the planet, quite an accolade I thought, personally I would have put myself in the top 6.

Anyway, while I'm here,

Old Pubs...

My mate Ernie managed to obtain 2 much sought after VIP tickets for a gentleman's evening at a pub in down town Attercliffe.

This was in the 70s, when I'm afraid "the Cliff" was in serious decline, the pubs were trying everything to get the punters in.

I have no recollection of the name of the pub, but as you travelled up Weedon St from Brightside, there was a road on your righthand side that led up on to the common, don't think it exists anymore. this backstreet pub was situated there.

So one Friday night, we set off in great anticipation to see what awaits us.

What a venue, I can only describe it as a Palladium of debauchery, one of those places where you wipe your feet on the way out.

The only thing missing was the sawdust and spittoons.

We were ushered into a small dingy back room which was packed out with about a dozen blokes..

After about 6 pints of stoooonnesy the entertainment began, 

The dilapidated Jukebox was switched on, and the tune of Ravel's Bolero rung out.

In walked the entertainer, a tart stripper, I'm sure she had made the long journey from the Wybourn just to thrill us lads.

Crikey me, 

She had a tooth missing, swallows tattooed on here neck, (before tattoos became fashionable) and legs like a Netto chicken.

Thank goodness for them beer goggles...

She strips off and starts gyrating to the music, then moves stealthily among the audience, where each bloke takes his turn at having a good fumble.

I'm eagerly awaiting my turn, being the most handsome bloke in the audience, I'm sure she's saving me for the finale...

Sure enough, She approaches me, sits on my lap, YIPPEE, time to do the business....

Then it happened,  (not that)

The ruddy Jukebox blew a fuse, she jumped up grabbed her attire and, and was of like a dirty shirt...

And that Cuttsie has been the story of my life.

41 minutes ago, Padders said:

Well that is a relieve, I did promise you a pint and I've not slept all night...

Last time I bought anybody a pint was way back in the 60s,

Orangeade it is then.

Someone once called me the tightest B on the planet, quite an accolade I thought, personally I would have put myself in the top 6.

Anyway, while I'm here,

Old Pubs...

My mate Ernie managed to obtain 2 much sought after VIP tickets for a gentleman's evening at a pub in down town Attercliffe.

This was in the 70s, when I'm afraid "the Cliff" was in serious decline, the pubs were trying everything to get the punters in.

I have no recollection of the name of the pub, but as you travelled up Weedon St from Brightside, there was a road on your righthand side that led up on to the common, don't think it exists anymore. this backstreet pub was situated there.

So one Friday night, we set off in great anticipation to see what awaits us.

What a venue, I can only describe it as a Palladium of debauchery, one of those places where you wipe your feet on the way out.

The only thing missing was the sawdust and spittoons.

We were ushered into a small dingy back room which was packed out with about a dozen blokes..

After about 6 pints of stoooonnesy the entertainment began, 

The dilapidated Jukebox was switched on, and the tune of Ravel's Bolero rung out.

In walked the entertainer, a tart stripper, I'm sure she had made the long journey from the Wybourn just to thrill us lads.

Crikey me, 

She had a tooth missing, swallows tattooed on here neck, (before tattoos became fashionable) and legs like a Netto chicken.

Thank goodness for them beer goggles...

She strips off and starts gyrating to the music, then moves stealthily among the audience, where each bloke takes his turn at having a good fumble.

I'm eagerly awaiting my turn, being the most handsome bloke in the audience, I'm sure she's saving me for the finale...

Sure enough, She approaches me, sits on my lap, YIPPEE, time to do the business....

Then it happened,  (not that)

The ruddy Jukebox blew a fuse, she jumped up grabbed her attire and, and was of like a dirty shirt...

And that Cuttsie has been the story of my life.

Good un Padders there was a pub on the Cliffe next to Banners that had the naughty shows around 1984 ish . I never went just heard about it on the grape vine ,

42 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Good un Padders there was a pub on the Cliffe next to Banners that had the naughty shows around 1984 ish . I never went just heard about it on the grape vine ,

Dog and Partridge Cutsie.