Ordinary Sheffielders.

Then there was JACK..

Jack was one of the most affable and likeable person you could ever meet.

Jack was the Concert Secretary of my local WMC.

On a Saturday night, he would stand in the foyer of the club wearing his posh suit, with a Carnation in the lapel.

As you entered the club he would greet you with a smile, and "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs Padders"

He knew every member by their first names, in fact he became known as the "Val Parnell" of Shiregreen.

A really popular guy.

Then one Saturday, while checking his Littlewood pools, he found he'd correctly forecasted the 8 draws needed, this meant a potential payout of £75,000.

Off course everyone in the club was delighted and couldn't wait to congratulate him, On the strength of his win Jack was borrowing huge amounts of money, which people were more than happy to lend him on the promise of receiving double the amount back when he received his cheque.

Unfortunately, when Jack contacted the Pools company, he was dismayed to hear they'd not received his entry.

Oh dear, what bad luck.  (specially for the mugs who'd lent him money)

Jack pursued his claim with vigour, I think he was interviewed on local TV with the sob story.

He also threatend to go to the Human rights court in Strasbourg.

All this was to no avail, Jack never got his winnings, and quite a few club members finished out of pocket...

His coupon was never found.

Wonder what happened to it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Then there was JACK..

Jack was one of the most affable and likeable person you could ever meet.

Jack was the Concert Secretary of my local WMC.

On a Saturday night, he would stand in the foyer of the club wearing his posh suit, with a Carnation in the lapel.

As you entered the club he would greet you with a smile, and "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs Padders"

He knew every member by their first names, in fact he became known as the "Val Parnell" of Shiregreen.

A really popular guy.

Then one Saturday, while checking his Littlewood pools, he found he'd correctly forecasted the 8 draws needed, this meant a potential payout of £75,000.

Off course everyone in the club was delighted and couldn't wait to congratulate him, On the strength of his win Jack was borrowing huge amounts of money, which people were more than happy to lend him on the promise of receiving double the amount back when he received his cheque.

Unfortunately, when Jack contacted the Pools company, he was dismayed to hear they'd not received his entry.

Oh dear, what bad luck.  (specially for the mugs who'd lent him money)

Jack pursued his claim with vigour, I think he was interviewed on local TV with the sob story.

He also threatend to go to the Human rights court in Strasbourg.

All this was to no avail, Jack never got his winnings, and quite a few club members finished out of pocket...

His coupon was never found.

Wonder what happened to it?

WMC Doormen , I could write a book about them , The Midhill , The Arundel ,Manor , Park and Arbour , Queens Road  , Carlton ,  Smithywood  (the best ever ) and Comrades at Cresswell .  been a member of all those , The Midhill was first when I was 16 or 17 years old , told em I was 18 or 21  can't remember which , The committee laughed at me then  gave me my affiliation book .

Edited by cuttsie
Smithywood
  • Like 1

Nearly forgot Walkley Club where a committee man asked me if I wanted to win the Bingo on a Sunday dinner time . 

I told him to get lost . Apparently  when you needed just a couple of  numbers  you would shout  bingo , He would make sure he was stood near your table and check card inserting two no's  that had already been called , never played again in any club .

• Like 1

Now is the time to set things right , Now is the time , so the story goes , 

I lived next door to a vagabond  and the vagabonds wife  Jane , The vagabond in question was Chris Garside the lead  guitar player at that time , Chris was a larger than life character who lived  next door to us  on Hoole Street in Walkley , He drove a  Triumph spitfire car and wore 6 inch   green build up shoes with stars on them ,  He had long hair and was a nice kid .

His wife was Jane or Jayne who was one of the nicest people who i have ever met , she was  a head teacher at a school in North Derbyshire (more about Jane Garside later ) 

Any way this vagabond story goes way back to the Fiesta appearances  in the late sixties early seventies when I was a special guest of Jimmy and his vagabonds , 

The  time of the bands appearance coincided with the bands appearance on Top of the Pops ,  I cannot remember the number that made the the charts that year but think it was  Now is the time , or Love or money  , 

But the strange thing is , as the big night of the top of pops on TV came around Chris Garside knocked on our door and invited me and a ex wife around to watch it on their colour TV , (ours was black and white 14 incher) . 

The programme came on , the commentator  (forget who ) announced , And here  they are , no ?????????? one or two or three or whatever the band were that week  Its Jimmy James and the Vagabonds .  The group came on . the show was live with dancing lasses  but I and Jayne and my ex were sat with the vagabond  Chris Garside  on lead guitar . 

The appearance was a knockout  , 

I met Jimmy a few times after that he was a nice enough bloke although I don't think Chris and the back up band made good wages out of the success  at that time , 

10 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I lived next door to a vagabond  and the vagabonds wife  Jane , The vagabond in question was Chris Garside the lead  guitar player at that time , Chris was a larger than life character who lived  next door to us  on Hoole Street in Walkley , He drove a  Triumph spitfire car and wore 6 inch   green build up shoes with stars on them ,  He had long hair and was a nice kid .

His wife was Jane or Jayne who was one of the nicest people who i have ever met , she was  a head teacher at a school in North Derbyshire (more about Jane Garside later ) 

Any way this vagabond story goes way back to the Fiesta appearances  in the late sixties early seventies when I was a special guest of Jimmy and his vagabonds , 

The  time of the bands appearance coincided with the bands appearance on Top of the Pops ,  I cannot remember the number that made the the charts that year but think it was  Now is the time , or Love or money  , 

But the strange thing is , as the big night of the top of pops on TV came around Chris Garside knocked on our door and invited me and a ex wife around to watch it on their colour TV , (ours was black and white 14 incher) . 

The programme came on , the commentator  (forget who ) announced , And here  they are , no ?????????? one or two or three or whatever the band were that week  Its Jimmy James and the Vagabonds .  The group came on . the show was live with dancing lasses  but I and Jayne and my ex were sat with the vagabond  Chris Garside  on lead guitar . 

I met Jimmy a few times after that he was a nice enough bloke although I don't think Chris and the back up band made good wages out of the success  at that time , 

Alan Kirk ex Jade was the keyboard player and musical director.  It was Now is the Time.

1 hour ago, classicfan said:

I think so, I'll check with my mate Terry Adair, Jade's old guitarist, he knows Chris. 

Chris once told me he appeared in Jesus Christ Super Star in London , I  do not know if he played Jesus or the  little Donkey .

Guest makapaka
On 27/10/2022 at 22:43, cuttsie said:

here you go mate.