Ordinary Sheffielders.

Frank White ,

Guitarist and Sheffield legend .

I  do not know if I have already mentioned Frank on these pages , If so then it  will not hurt any thing to mention him again .

I first saw Frank many years ago when he played lead guitar for various Sheffield groups as we called them at that time . 

The first time  I saw him was in the Centre Spot on Base Green ,  The groups that played there inc Vance Arnold  and the Avengers , Dave Berry and the cruisers and so on .

Frank must have been playing with  them or perhaps another of the many bands at that time '

Any way many years past and Frank just kept on playing , always full pubs and clubs when he was on  and fronting his own show by this time , The Frank White Band , 

In the 80's through the 90's he was resident band at the Pheasant at Lane Top in Sheffield , Every Friday ,  it would  be packed to the rafters with regulars  who followed Frank and his band around the clubs 

Frank was Mr cool himself when on stage and would often go into overdrive on a guitar solo playing  a long session in his own World  as it seemed as though he had forgot that the audience were still there .

No one seemed to mind and these solo's always brought the house down , 

Frank would just look up and smile .

I often used to bump into him at the tram stop at Gleadless Town End and he always wanted to know how things were with you , But did not think that he was any thing special when I often said how good I thought he was and  he just dismissed it with that smile of his .

He died a couple of years ago , Miss you Frank White , the best guitarist in the World /

Edited by cuttsie

10 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Frank White ,

I  do not know if I have already mentioned Frank on these pages , If so then it  will not hurt any thing to mention him again .

I first saw Frank many years ago when he played lead guitar for various Sheffield groups as we called them at that time . 

The first time  I saw him was in the Centre Spot on Base Green ,  The groups that played there inc Vance Arnold  and the Avengers , Dave Berry and the cruisers and so on .

Frank must have been playing with  them or perhaps another of the many bands at that time '

Any way many years past and Frank just kept on playing , always full pubs and clubs when he was on  and fronting his own show by this time , The Frank White Band , 

In the 80's through the 90's he was resident band at the Pheasant at Lane Top in Sheffield , Every Friday ,  it would  be packed to the rafters with regulars  who followed Frank and his band around the clubs 

Frank was Mr cool himself when on stage and would often go into overdrive on a guitar solo playing  a long session in his own World  as it seemed as though he had forgot that the audience were still there .

I often used to bump into him at the tram stop at Gleadless Town End and he always wanted to know how things were with you , But did not think that he was any thing special when I often said how good I thought he was and  he just dismissed it with that smile of his .

He died a couple of years ago , Miss you Frank White , the best guitarist in the World /

Absolutely Cuttsie.

I was a regular at the Pheasant, and Frank would always pass the time of day with us.

What memories they were, packed to the rafters with a good crowd.

Young un don't know their born today.

I used to follow Frank in his later years, when he appeared once a month at the Railway Pub (Wadsley Bridge) with the "Hill Billy Cats"

Couldn't half sink them Barley Wines..

RIP Frank.

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Absolutely Cuttsie.

I was a regular at the Pheasant, and Frank would always pass the time of day with us.

What memories they were, packed to the rafters with a good crowd.

Young un don't know their born today.

I used to follow Frank in his later years, when he appeared once a month at the Railway Pub (Wadsley Bridge) with the "Hill Billy Cats"

Couldn't half sink them Barley Wines..

RIP Frank.

Was John Firminger on the Drums at the Railway , John is a character as well , he was in our house interviewing me about a book he was writing  and Ringo Starr appeared on the teli , John nearly chocked on his tea . "calls hissen a drummer" he spluttered . Made me laugh that did .

Frank loved his ale despite being a very religious bloke . 

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Was John Firminger on the Drums at the Railway , John is a character as well , he was in our house interviewing me about a book he was writing  and Ringo Starr appeared on the teli , John nearly chocked on his tea . "calls hissen a drummer" he spluttered . Made me laugh that did .

Frank loved his ale despite being a very religious bloke . 

Graham Sargent singing, Pete Jackson on drums, brother Bob on Guitar, and Frank.

The Hillbilly Cats Sheffield at the Office with Frank White - YouTube.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Frank White ,

I knew the Drummer with Vance  Arnold and the Avengers , nice bloke but barmy 

• Like 1

On 04/11/2022 at 19:26, hackey lad said:

I knew the Drummer with Vance  Arnold and the Avengers , nice bloke but barmy 

Dave Memmott was drummer with the Avengers for some time 

Glad you amended it Hackey , dont think you’d call him barmy.

I don’t know whether he’s still around