Ordinary Sheffielders.

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Cheers Trastrick good to know that. Ordinary Sheffielders are reading the forum. Out in the West 

I’m not in the habit of questioning Cuttsie, however there are ‘Ordinary Sheffielders’ that don’t work in the building trade. 😉

26 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’m not in the habit of questioning Cuttsie, however there are ‘Ordinary Sheffielders’ that don’t work in the building trade. 😉

And I myself did not spend a life time. In that trade Crookesay at 50 I packed it in lock stock and barrel , I wen to sea. , or the inland waterways and coastal tributaries to be precise, obtained my ships master certificate and ferried people around , many a yarn to be told there but it’s watter under the bridge , 

Any way this thread is about Ordinary Sheffielders I have known not me . 

You are welcome to contribute that’s what it is all about .

So ?????

PS , most people I have written about on here did not work building trade I can think of only one .

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Cheers Trastrick good to know that. Ordinary Sheffielders are reading the forum. Out in the West 

You are talking about a time, long gone, when workers really did stick together, find each other work, laugh at the "powers that be", and quit on principle, just because a mate was treated badly. Didn't go crying to a Union. No whining about management, our motto was "chuck it" or shurrup and get on with it! 

And "chuck it" we did!

We knew how to hold an normal adult conversation, without parsing every sentence for grammar, or definitions of words, or throwing insults.

In our pubs, those niggling types got short shrift. And only women drank Chardonnay!

We may have different politics, but we celebrate the things we have in common, And we don't need no Tradesmen's Pride Day.  :)

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi @cuttsie im desperate for more information about the water works on hurlfield road, its been my home for 15 years now. it says "hansworth water works 1887" on the front of the house, but i havent been able to get much, if any information about it! please help! x 

11 minutes ago, judyheald said:

hi @cuttsie im desperate for more information about the water works on hurlfield road, its been my home for 15 years now. it says "hansworth water works 1887" on the front of the house, but i havent been able to get much, if any information about it! please help! x 

11 minutes ago, judyheald said:

I will get back to you later , I remember it well .

2 hours ago, judyheald said:

It has Handsworth on the plinth because that’s how far the area of Handsworth covered.

• Like 1

I lived at the rear side of  the wattter works . Between us and building was a very large corn field , A field that in some years had cows grazing so as to feed the following years crop .

The water works was surrounded by moon penny flowers on three sides , people from various near by houses would pick these and take them home for their mams to put in a jar on the window cill .I did many times and my old Ma always made me out to be a good lad on those days .

When Hurlfield schools were built they turned half the corn field into a rugby pitch . it was the top half that the Water works over looked . 

Some times my old Ma and Pa had a row as all family's seemed to do in those days and my Da would say he was leaving and going to chuck him sen into the water works dam ,  This threat always made me roor ,  But The so called dam had a massive steel cover on it and my old ma would say to me ," Teck no notice love if he can shift that top off he is a good un.

"  The old fellow could always be found in the Punch Bowl tap room on those row days and would come home singing and all would be forgotten until the next time that is.

Any way i transgress (memories ). 

Just a little way on Hurlfield Road towards Myrtle Springs stood a row of cottages . Very old  cottaged they were . In one of them lived a old fellow who collected rubbish . by rubbish i mean old farm machines, bycycles , bed spreads etc in fact today some of that old tat would be worth a fortune , He used to sit out side his front door smoking a pipe and if us klds ventured near his collection of tat he would chase us of shouting get "get back to Crescent " were we lived.

The Crescent and the Waterworks were neighbours and faced each other across the field . Both field and Crescent are now no more as private speculation has swallowed both up and all that is now left are child hood memories of a time when Gleadless was  in the country side ,surrounded by woods and fields .

The next field on from the water works going towards Gleadless Road there was a duck pond ( behind the old cottages )   next to the pond was an  old hut , The hut was very large and looked like a cricket pavilion . 

A  family lived in the hut for many years until the chap who lived there got a job as lock keeper down at Tinsley locks , Us kids took over the hut when they moved out it became our den , A place were we learned the facts of life among other things leading to leaving school and entering the work place .

So the  water works , It was an oasis in the middle of no where at that time , A mysterious place to us . Sorry that this has turned out to be a  nostalgic post but but that is what the Handsworth water works is to me a fond memory of , farms , dens in the corn field and moon pennies .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 2