Ordinary Sheffielders.

44 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Little Rita ,  

little Rita was just that ,little , should stood around 4ft 9inches in her stocking feet .

We saw a lot of Rita’s stockings .

She was also the best dancer I have ever seen,

Her venue to dance was the Lacarno on London Road ,   Her dance the jive , 

Rita would dance all night long from 7 pm til chucking out time at 10-30 pm .

Her party piece was when Sam Higgins split her up from her mates , (the lasses always danced in a group often around their hand bags placed on the floor ). 
Any way Sam was Rita’s equal on the Lacarno dance floor , Sam was also small just a bit taller than Rite ,, 

As the night was coming to a close the magic usually happened , The band would strike up with a Rock and Roll number , Rock around the Clock , See you later alligator and so on.

The pair would square up.  A look a twirl and off they would go , Sam could sling Rite around like a top , Rita could spin like a top . 

The floor would clear and the couple would be in their own World ,

Over Sam’s head she would go , through legs , shoulder drops , twirls .frock was like a parachute on each twirl revealing Rita’s stocking tops and suspenders and a bit more if you were Quick .

The assembled Lads and Lasses crowded all the way around the dance floor edges clapping , shouting and whooping , Teddy boys and girls , Italian suited lads , lasses with buffont hair does piled up like a pyramid on heads that would be head scarved as they all ran for the last bus home at 11 PM in Pond Street .

Can I take you home love was a cry that often could be heard as the hall emptied usually with a knock back as the lasses all stuck together in those far off days. 

I used to see Rita as she passed where I was working on the Castle Market build ,

She would catch the bus there  ,

”Can I Tec thi out love “. I asked now and then , She just gave me a look that said , “Tha can if tha learns to dance like Sam” 

So , did you learn to dance like Sam ?