Ordinary Sheffielders.

Again bang on .

When I was in my teens I used to go in the Elm Tree , some names I remember , Jeff Crawshaw,  window cleaner , Freddie Sanderson , market Ladd, Sid Brown , miner ,  Kilvern Brown , cousin , Avril Coates , Pat Mather, Ashley Wilks , Tailor , Billy Reaney, coal man ,  Graham Slinn , hod carrier ,  Jimmy Dawes ???, Billy Dunn, Johny Parker , Susan Etcheles and a cast of hundreds.

Edited by cuttsie

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Again bang on .

When I was in my teens I used to go in the Elm Tree , some names I remember , Jeff Crawshaw,  window cleaner , Freddie Sanderson , market Ladd, Sid Brown , miner ,  Kilvern Brown , cousin , Avril Coates , Pat Mather, Ashley Wilks , Tailor , Billy Reaney, coal man ,  Graham Slinn , hod carrier ,  Jimmy Dawes ???, Billy Dunn, Johny Parker , Susan Etcheles and a cast of hundreds.

Kilburn Brown

Thank you Cuttsie for the lovely Memories.

I come onto this part of the Forum just to rekindle what I remember of Sheffield.

Surely the Edwards brothers would qualify as real people. Who doesn’t remember them throwing tea services around  in the market. 
So many great people who made Sheffield a place to remember

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mags said:

I come onto this part of the Forum just to rekindle what I remember of Sheffield.

Surely the Edwards brothers would qualify as real people. Who doesn’t remember them throwing tea services around  in the market. 

http://www.pottyedwards.co.uk/Potty_Edwards/Potty_Edwards.html

Some great photos on here, Big Ada included.

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I know mate but you you got his name wrong in your earlier post . Not trying to be pedantic .

Sorry I have had it wrong for 60 years ever since I went to school with his sister Violet my best pal at school .

Make that 70

1 hour ago, Mags said:

Yes I watched them when I was young , but did not know them personally maybe some one does and can tell us a tale or two .

On 26/10/2021 at 20:00, cuttsie said:

Tosh Wild , or to give him his proper name Charles Antony Wild .

I was in the Rose house on SouthRoad , Walkley  one Friday night in 1969 ,

There was a lot of laughter and commotion coming from a corner of the tap room and I shoved in just in time to see one of the funniest thing s I have ever see even to this day , A fart lighting contest . 

This entailed dropping ones trousers and attempting to light a fart , two of the three who entered the contest had failed miserably until Tosh jumped in ,dropped his trousers and  just as big Gilbert Hartley lit the Ronson a blue flame shot across the room , In seconds amid scorched pants every onlooker was doubled up in laughter , tears were running down faces , beer was spilled . Tosh was the undisputed fart lighting champion of that pub . A pub that was a legend due to the the tricks played by both Landlord Bernard Frith and his customers . 

So that was how I first met Tosh .

A few weeks later due to getting more and more fiddle jobs or jobs for locals at the weekend I decided to go self employed and straight away the jobs started piling in so I needed help just to keep up.

I mentioned to Tosh that I had got a dormer window roof conversion to start on Cundy Street but I was not sure how to actually undertake it as I was not a joiner or slater, 

"I gi thi a hand wi that " said Tosh "no problem , 

So the next Monday us two were staring up at a roof on Cundy Street holding roof plans of the proposed dormer. 

We had a tool bag containing hammers ,saws ,levels and so on , my  ford Cortina mark one reg no ALF21B and little else .

"Ok Tosh " 'Whats the first step " I asked .

"How the ++++ do I know " said Tosh "never done one in mi life " 

So started a partnership that lasted many years .

to be continued . 

testing just to find the best way to continue the story

Edited by cuttsie

So , Tosh and myself set off on a journey that lasted over 20 years , we were based in Walkley and Neepsend , many ups and downs along the way , laughs , tears , skint times , and times when we were well off .

I have been having a think about the story as I intended it to be all about Tosh but now realise that it must involve other characters around that time inc Walkley locals .

The top Freedom on South Road has had two of the finest land lord and land lady's who were legends while running the pub. 

The first was Alan Pashley and his wife , the second of the two was Alan Ward and his Wife Mary , they later ran The Walkley Cottage on Bole Hill Road .

However in between their  tenancy a few other had short stints at running the Freedom 

Now the Freedom was not a easy pub to run , it had regulars who were long time Walkley characters and they ruled the roose (spelling)  if the landlord was not a strong character who could keep them in their place( as both the pre mentioned Alans could) .

Around the early seventies a couple took over the pub who were from the Arbourthorne , Manor area , they did not go down very well with the rowdy mob as the new tenants decided that they wanted a more up market type of pub , 

After bird was stopped ,( this was when 10-30 or 11 pm was closing time ) After bird was when the landlord locked you in so as to allow you to keep on drinking until he decided to send you home which could be early morning in some cases.

So the couple who took over were upset , the local jack the lads were upset and things got a little tense .

One Friday night three new faces entered the pub and after a few drinks they started to make it clear that if there was any more upset  from the locals then they would be sorting the culprit or culprits out , Apparently the three were well known handy lads from the other side of the City . 

Things got little heated a bit of pushing , a few threats some swearing etc .

Then Tosh stepped in , "Na look stop being daft lets all sheck hands and call it a draw " he said while offering the biggest of the big hitters his hand to shake . 

Mistake ,     Tosh squeezed the offered hand , smiles were slowly wiped of the blokes face as Tosh squeezed even harder and the bloke went red in the face trying not to look daft , He then almost went onto his knees and said he had had enough . 

A loud cheer went up as the three made a retreat and Tosh had a good laugh at the out come .

Soon after Alan Wards dad took over the Freedom and there was no nonsense from then on , he was followed by  son Alan Ward .

A few years later and the Freedom became a Walkley legend of a pub ' .

Dates and times may be a year or two out but it was between 1966 and the early 90's.

27 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Cuttsie

Can I just say I love your memories and hope you continue posting them.

cheers lass.

Edited by cuttsie
dates and times .

Tosh would wear  a suite on suitable occasions like weddings , Funerals, or a night at Fiesta or Bailey;s club .

In his to breast pocket he alway had a matching hanky as was the custom in the sixty's seventy's .

The difference between Tosh's hanky and every other blokes was that his were a pair of lady's fancy knickers folded to look like a top pocket hanky. 

At the appropriate moment if the party was going a little flat he would pul out the knickers come hanky and blow his nose .

Always brought the house down that did .