A Happy Upbeat Positive Look At Sheffield City Centre!

2 hours ago, Stannington Lad said:

That's the same in any city or town 

I think not! I’m thinking about some of the nice places I’ve lived in the past and none of them are anywhere near the same.  
Apathy and acceptance of unacceptable behaviour and ineffective policing methods reign supreme in certain sections of our society it seems?

On 18/04/2022 at 11:24, Tipstaff said:

I think not! I’m thinking about some of the nice places I’ve lived in the past and none of them are anywhere near the same.  
Apathy and acceptance of unacceptable behaviour and ineffective policing methods reign supreme in certain sections of our society it seems?

Which is where? Everywhere I go around the UK  and I do a fair amount of travelling per year, it's more or less the same. The exception might be a remote Scottish island or something like that 

11 hours ago, Stannington Lad said:

Which is where? Everywhere I go around the UK  and I do a fair amount of travelling per year, it's more or less the same. The exception might be a remote Scottish island or something like that 

I’ve travelled extensively in the UK too, but the South and West Yorkshire areas seem to be lacking a visible police presence in their city and town centres.
Before you come back and say well, ‘everywhere else is the same’ or it’s due to the recession or lack of funding of the police, I’d just consider this; It’s been like this for decades now, so it’s acceptable?

A positive policing presence cannot be measured by crime statistics and any law abiding citizen or person with practical experience of policing would agree that it is a necessary and very valuable tool.

By the way, have you been to York or Harrogate recently ?

Edited by Tipstaff
Additional question

• 5 weeks later...

Having lived here all my life, I have seen Sheffield go from a nice modern, busy thriving city center, to a place I don't want to visit anymore... it's changed from "yay, town today" to.. "*sigh*, gotta go to town today :(" for me...

I can't say when it really started, but the first sign(s) of it for me, were when the council re-used the existing scaffold structures on the moor for 'revitalization' etc, and McDonalds moved from the moor, and the whole top section where Sunwin House is/was started emptying...

Then they moved the markets - and I think that was the killer for most of the city center...

What also doesn't help, is the multitude of part finished projects (such as the old markets site)

Edited by Ghozer

• 3 months later...

Went to Leeds yesterday and walked 8 miles around Headingley and the city centre. It makes Sheffield look like a village. Leeds has: An airport; electrified trains to London (for 30 years); two vibrant waterside developments; a market; a large central shopping area where people can be seen carrying shopping bags; a huge number of food and drink outlets; a motorway ring road; two massive university complexes; Three major TV studio centres;  a test match cricket ground; a buzzing atmosphere.  Oh yes, and a John Lewis. 

Sheffield on my last visit at the height of the holiday season was busy but nobody was shopping. (Atkinsons had about 20 people wandering around but not buying much. A manager told me that their footfall had been hit hard by the Cole Bros closure). Compared with photos from the 50s, 60s and 70s, the city centre looked closed. But it has Meadowhall which is now a sterile shopping experience, a third rate railway station, a pathetic excuse for a ring road, an ex-airport and one 20 miles away soon to be an ex-airport, but it has 28 year old trams on a network  crying out for new routes. If you want to eat well you have to know about Kelham and Rutland because the city centre has been taken over by Chinese students and their preferences. Victoria Quays continues to fail to attract interest. The former shopping centres at Heeley Bottom, Abbeydale Road and Ecclesall Road are a dismal shadow of their previous lives. It'll take more than a Youtube Video to match that place at the top of the M1. Sheffield has always lacked clout. 

• Like 1