Fawlty Towers 'Germans' Episode

Do you think UKTV and Britbox were right to pull the Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode due to complaints?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode pulled, right or wrong?

• Right
    • Wrong
    • PC gone mad! Even John Cleese himself said so!

3 hours ago, butlers said:

Bet ITV bosses are cursing the Guardian after their accusations about the actor Noel Clarke, they have pulled the final episode of a 5 part drama .

Lots of " trial by media"  comments in reaction

I wonder if the seemingly defensive reaction by the Guardian commenters would be quite the same if the accused was say, a fat ugly old tory supporting white man.  

Let me be very clear, I am not saying what's right on either side, but there does often seem to be a discrepancy in the rush to defend when the accused fails to fall within certain categories.

3 hours ago, butlers said:

Bet ITV bosses are cursing the Guardian after their accusations about the actor Noel Clarke, they have pulled the final episode of a 5 part drama .

Lots of " trial by media"  comments in reaction

Well its happened before & this actor was cleared. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/27/ed-westwick-not-charged-rape-allegations-gossip-girl

I'm not saying there's no foundation to the accusations made against Clarke but it does seem strange that these allegations all surface in the same week when he's probably at his most high profile? 

And whether people like it or not, we shouldn't be running the country on trial by media. 

Edited by Baron99

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well its happened before & this actor was cleared. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/27/ed-westwick-not-charged-rape-allegations-gossip-girl

I'm not saying there's no foundation to the accusations made against Clarke but it does seem strange that these allegations all surface in the same week when he's probably at his most high profile? 

And whether people like it or not, we shouldn't be running the country on trial by media. 

Agreed, @Baron99, but sadly we are.

Other thing is if the Guardian know 20 people are making accusations and they don't mention it ,people would cry blue murder and accuse them of covering up.

From a quick read today three industry insiders had approached Bafta weeks ago .

They were in an impossible position

23 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

That cuts both ways, though, doesn't it?

I'm not saying that Boris Johnson is a fat ugly old Tory-supporting white man (if that's who you were referring to), but I think you'll agree that there's a certain demographic that is quicker to rush to defend him than they would be for people like Noel Clarke.

No I disagree. With the obvious exception of the monsters like Saville and Weinstein. There has been a string of white middle-aged to older gentleman accused of sexual harassment or worse all named and shamed by the horrors of trial by media who received little or no support from the gossips or twitterati until after they were proven innocent in court of law.  Some of them, never regained their careers even after all  that.

I just find it interesting that the first time it happens to a younger, good-looking, left leaning, black actor  the response from many is to be defensive with strong protesting about dangers of trial by media. 

Maybe perhaps one side is just prevalent than the other.... who knows.  Either way 20 alleged people is a lot of fallout.  Will be interesting to see how this plays.  BAFTA have certainly not been sluggish in their suspension

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No I disagree. With the obvious exception of the monsters like Saville and Weinstein. There has been a string of white middle-aged to older gentleman accused of sexual harassment or worse all named and shamed by the horrors of trial by media who received little or no support from the gossips or twitterati until after they were proven innocent in court of law.  Some of them, never regained their careers at all all even after that.

I just find it interesting that the first time it happens to a younger, good-looking, left leaning, black actor  the response from many is to be defensive with strong protesting about dangers of trial by media.

That's the whole point, he's a young BLACK actor, and the main people complaining about him are probably Daily Fail/Telegraph reading racists who hate the world and everyone in it, especially if there's anything "different" about them.

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No I disagree. With the obvious exception of the monsters like Saville and Weinstein. There has been a string of white middle-aged to older gentleman accused of sexual harassment or worse all named and shamed by the horrors of trial by media who received little or no support from the gossips or twitterati until after they were proven innocent in court of law.  Some of them, never regained their careers even after all  that.

Michael Barrymore springs to mind .

Guest makapaka
11 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

That's the whole point, he's a young BLACK actor, and the main people complaining about him are probably Daily Fail/Telegraph reading racists who hate the world and everyone in it, especially if there's anything "different" about them.

I think the main people complaining about him are the 20 women complaining of being victims of sex crimes by him to be fair. 

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

I think the main people complaining about him are the 20 women complaining of being victims of sex crimes by him to be fair. 

thing is they usually do it from a point of anonymity and its usually historical? why is that/ to create maximum impact when they all get together like a witches coven? now i am not saying this guy is guilty or innocent  but why has it taken so long to appear? wait until hes a big hit???/