Asda To Start Selling Second Hand Clothes In Shops.

12 hours ago, spilldig said:

Not meager. You can reserve the top best sellers. I would have to live somewhere like Chatsworth House if I had them all.

Believe me the library I visited was poor.

Under funded? or just small town requirements in this technologically minded world?

(The Children's area is bright and family friendly, so 10 out of 10 for encouraging youngsters into book reading)

I have reserved books myself in the past, but things have moved on.

I'm not a 'Best Seller' type of guy and If you wait long enough that best seller costing £18 will turn up on Ebay or at a car boot  for next to now't (Scottish thinking in operation :blush: ).

Keep safe out there and read well 8) .

Correct, Rocker.

Just got a copy of Hockney's "Secret Knowledge" for £1.50.

Described as in good nick, but I'd stab a guess that it's never actually been opened, let alone read. 

Can tell from the way the spine flexes. Over 300 pages.

Price on back, £24.95.

14 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

Correct, Rocker.

Just got a copy of Hockney's "Secret Knowledge" for £1.50.

Described as in good nick, but I'd stab a guess that it's never actually been opened, let alone read. 

Can tell from the way the spine flexes. Over 300 pages.

Price on back, £24.95.

Would that be a Joke book Foxy, cus I've no idea.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Would that be a Joke book Foxy, cus I've no idea.

No, no joke, Pads!

David Hockney brought it out some years ago, revealing how the "old masters" probably used a camera obscura to aid the composition of their paintings. Think there was a TV programme as well.

I managed to import an obscura from the US a long time ago, to see how one actually worked. Fascinating idea.

(I think you may've been confused with the expression "carnal knowledge", which is a different matter completely. Erm.... so I understand....) 

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Believe me the library I visited was poor.

Under funded? or just small town requirements in this technologically minded world?

(The Children's area is bright and family friendly, so 10 out of 10 for encouraging youngsters into book reading)

I have reserved books myself in the past, but things have moved on.

I'm not a 'Best Seller' type of guy and If you wait long enough that best seller costing £18 will turn up on Ebay or at a car boot  for next to now't (Scottish thinking in operation :blush: ).

Keep safe out there and read well 8) .

I don't know about the branch libraries,  we use the central library and it's no use looking on the shelves,  you have to reserve.  I have had 3 best sellers in the last three weeks . Robin Cook,  Chris Ryan and John Grisham, all hardback because I prefer hardback,  usually at £20 each which I didn't get for next to nothing.  I got for nothing. 

41 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

No, no joke, Pads!

David Hockney brought it out some years ago, revealing how the "old masters" probably used a camera obscura to aid the composition of their paintings. Think there was a TV programme as well.

I managed to import an obscura from the US a long time ago, to see how one actually worked. Fascinating idea.

(I think you may've been confused with the expression "carnal knowledge", which is a different matter completely. Erm.... so I understand....) 

Nice one Foxy.

There is a Camera Obscura in this tower at the wonderful village of Portmeirion.

See the source image

The Obscurer was taken from a WW1 German submarine and the cottages in the picture are where Patrick McGoohan stayed while filming the Prisoner.

Anyone wanting to show the grandkids a bit of magic - go to Utube loads of 'How to make an obscurer' (from house hold items) videos.

Keep safe out there 8) .

Not been to Portmeirion ? stick it on your bucket list.

And, of course, I meant that I'd bought a camera lucida, not an obscura!

Impressive piece of kit, to say it sits in a cardboard box in the cellar!

No, never been to Portmeirion, although I've seen it featured on TV many times. Bucket list, yes, you're right....