Viewpoint

Rollypolly

39 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It sends out a clear message that those allegations are being taken seriously and the network is prepared to put dealing with such issue ahead of its profits.

It may be the case that ITV calculate; if he is found guilty and they had not pulled the last episode, that the damage to their reputation and associated loss of income; would be greater (than whatever they stand to make by airing the last episode etc).

I don't think we can assume that just because they're pulling the last episode, they're doing so because they're putting ethics in front of profits. Call my cynical, but I would suspect, as with any large corporation, it's more to do with PR and profits than anything else.

1 hour ago, Rollypolly said:

He's been accused of sexual misconduct which he denies so obviously the general public aren't allowed to see the final programme just in case we're offended by this. Personally I think if he's guilty he should face the consequences. If he's innocent then I hope it doesn't affect his career. Meanwhile what good does banning the final programme do? Nothing!

It appeases some groups of people, including but not just, Guardian reading lefties who get all offended about every little thing! :loopy: 

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

But seems like we’ve done away for the concept of presumed innocence (i.e. innocent until proven guilty), as he’s being punished before an actual trial.

I was thinking the same and if he is innocent will his career be tarnished?

1 hour ago, Mr Allen said:

It appeases some groups of people, including but not just, Guardian reading lefties who get all offended about every little thing!

Can we drag this conversation back to the realms of reality for a moment.

Let's just think about what would happen if the accused had a less famous and high-profile job.

What about if this story broke regarding a doctor who was accused of sexually harassing 20 female patients.... or a teacher who was accused of paedophilia..... a social worker who was accused of assault against one or more of their special needs clients....

Would there be the same chants of "innocent until proven guilty".    Would the public accept letting them carry on with their work unhindered, making money, building their favourable reputation and public trust until such time as they were before a court.   

Of course we wouldn't. We would expect an immediate suspension to protect others from potential harm and to demonstrate both the seriousness of allegations and that such were being dealt with appropriately. Carrying on as if nothing has happened and nothing is wrong does not fall into that category.

That is all that has happened here and it is the absolutely right decision in these circumstances.

The only difference I see is that merely because he's high-profile, celebrity status, public persona a few selfish people are bemoaning the fact they can't watch an episode of a television program.

Edited by ECCOnoob

19 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I was thinking the same and if he is innocent will his career be tarnished?

Possibly.  However, the general public never seemed to give a toss when it was all the other falsely accused but older fatter uglier whiter celebrities.  

They never seemed to care when it's some ordinary man on the street being exposed by some local rag or falsely outed by some curtain twitching busybody vigilante groups.

Why suddenly now do they care??

ITV and BAFTA are simply applying the same kind of reaction that any other employer or organisation would do if one of theirs  was accused of such a serious crime.  Where is the entitlement to special status.  Nobody else will get it why should he. 

Lets face it, even in the highly protective closed shop of the Royal Family - they booted Andrew from his public duties and many of his patreonships after the allegations made against him.

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

You think all 20 (so far) are liars?

If he is charged by the police as Rollypolly has already said he should face the consequences and the full force of the law.  I’m not a Judge.

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Possibly.  However, the general public never seemed to give a toss when it was all the other falsely accused but older fatter uglier whiter celebrities.  

They never seemed to care when it's some ordinary man on the street being exposed by some local rag or falsely outed by some curtain twitching busybody vigilante groups.

Why suddenly now do they care??

ITV and BAFTA are simply applying the same kind of reaction that any other employer or organisation would do if one of theirs  was accused of such a serious crime.  Where is the entitlement to special status.  Nobody else will get it why should he. 

Lets face it, even in the highly protective closed shop of the Royal Family - they booted Andrew from his public duties and many of his patreonships after the allegations made against him.

I can understand if a Doctor is suspended if he has been accused of inappropriate behaviour with a patient until his case has been investigated, but Viewpoint was probably made last year and it’s still going to be on Catch Up TV which doesn’t make sense to me.  I don’t know much about this actor, I’ve only seen him in the trailer for Viewpoint. If he is working on a project at the moment, fine suspend him until they know what is going to happen to him.

I remember the campaign to bring in Sarah’s Law, which I’m sure you are familiar with, when innocent men were violently attacked in the street by mobs who accused them of being a Paedophile after the News of the World printed their name and wrongly accused them. If I remember the police campaigned against Sarah’s Law and tried to have it stopped because of those idiot vigilantes.  Thank heavens it was made law even if it was a watered down version of what Sarah’s parents wanted.

There was talk of changing the law then, banning the media from naming someone until they were charged.  So perhaps we do need a change in the law that protects the man on the street as well as high profile people unless they are charged.

Edited by hauxwell

31 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

If he is charged by the police as Rollypolly has already said he should face the consequences and the full force of the law.  I’m not a Judge.

I can understand if a Doctor is suspended if he has been accused of inappropriate behaviour with a patient until his case has been investigated, but Viewpoint was probably made last year and it’s still going to be on Catch Up TV which doesn’t make sense to me.  I don’t know much about this actor, I’ve only seen him in the trailer for Viewpoint. If he is working on a project at the moment, fine suspend him until they know what is going to happen to him.

I remember the campaign to bring in Sarah’s Law, which I’m sure you are familiar with, when innocent men were violently attacked in the street by mobs who accused them of being a Paedophile after the News of the World printed their name and wrongly accused them. If I remember the police campaigned against Sarah’s Law and tried to have it stopped because of those idiot vigilantes.  Thank heavens it was made law even if it was a watered down version of what Sarah’s parents wanted.

There was talk of changing the law then, banning the media from naming someone until they were charged.  So perhaps we do need a change in the law that protects the man on the street as well as high profile people unless they are charged.

Heaven forbid you believe 20 women.