Why Dont You Get Lower Prices When You Go Thru Self Service

8 minutes ago, Consheff said:

I think you should get a discount for using self service after all your doing all the work the market is saving on checkout staff wages. 

You mean you dont? Everyone else does. 

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Hehe... you wouldn't believe what MP's have proposed....

https://www.theweek.co.uk/101366/will-shoppers-be-charged-for-using-self-service-machines

For those who don't read the link before they start blowing bubbles out of their ears, the suggestion is 1p per transaction with the money raised (apparantly £30million) going to fund social projects. 

I try and avoid them if I can, but it's not that bad an idea. 

22 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

For those who don't read the link before they start blowing bubbles out of their ears, the suggestion is 1p per transaction with the money raised (apparantly £30million) going to fund social projects. 

The problem with introducing any charge, as we have seen in the past with other things, is that it will inevitably rise.

I hate using self service machines, I'm mid 40s but if I try and purchase anything that's age rated such as Alcohol or Dad's annual bottle of Whisky, I have to flag down a human to verify my being over 25! :rant: :loopy: 

Which negates the whole point of "self" service IMO.

25 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

1st. comment : Depends how you look at it, but I see your point.

2nd. comment: Just another tax, don't we have enough?

I always use them if possible, I hate queueing.

4 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I hate using self service machines, I'm mid 40s but if I try and purchase anything that's age rated such as Alcohol or Dad's annual bottle of Whisky, I have to flag down a human to verify my being over 25! :rant: :loopy: 

Which negates the whole point of "self" service IMO.

How else do you propose they stop kids putting booze through it? 

Just now, slh73 said:

It's not just Alcohol, I've been in WH Smith's in Meadowhall many a time buying the monthly Official Xbox Magazine, and even then I had to flag down a human to verify my age! Since when is a flippin' Xbox Mag age rated?! :loopy: 

1 minute ago, slh73 said:

Maybe make them card only payments as it unlikely that a kid will have one. ASDA at Manor Top has just introduced two rows of machines with 4 in each row. One row is for card only payment and the other is cash. Both also policed by a member of staff. Not sure why they also have cameras in them which show a live picture of the shopper on screen as well though. Will have to check that one out!