Israel-Palestine Conflict.

18 hours ago, Waldo said:

Just wanted to post this here, massive respect for this gentleman. When people in the audience start interrupting as he is recounting his deeply personal connection to historic events, gob-smacked, really, you’d think people would sense when to shut up.

https://youtu.be/WXn4rgtlgqw

I dont know much about this subject but well done to this man for not allowing himself to be bullied and standing by his principals .

4 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Why does this stuff not appear on mainstream media outlets?

Another possibility is that the information presented is untrue. One advantage of seeing stuff on the BBC say, is that it will have been fact-checked. Having been fact-checked does not of course mean that BBC reportage is fair, because the facts are only a small part of the whole and the selection of facts and the narrative into which they have been woven also affects fairness. The BBC for example (almost?) never seems to mention the Nakba knowledge of which may be a large part of why I am more pro-Palestinian than some on here.

Unfortunately, the YouTube video of (former?) Israeli soldier, Eran Efrati being interviewed by Abby Martin has a certain associated 'odour'. While the content of the interview fits with my World view, Abby Martin's wikipedia page suggests she is a conspiracy theorist. This doesn't prove the interview is unreliable but to avoid confirmation bias, I feel I need to be sceptical because I can not rely on her having been sceptical.

2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Another possibility is that the information presented is untrue. One advantage of seeing stuff on the BBC say, is that it will have been fact-checked. Having been fact-checked does not of course mean that BBC reportage is fair, because the facts are only a small part of the whole and the selection of facts and the narrative into which they have been woven also affects fairness. The BBC for example (almost?) never seems to mention the Nakba knowledge of which may be a large part of why I am more pro-Palestinian than some on here.

Unfortunately, the YouTube video of (former?) Israeli soldier, Eran Efrati being interviewed by Abby Martin has a certain associated 'odour'. While the content of the interview fits with my World view, Abby Martin's wikipedia page suggests she is a conspiracy theorist. This doesn't prove the interview is unreliable but to avoid confirmation bias, I feel I need to be sceptical because I can not rely on her having been sceptical.

My bold. 

I was listening to Nick Ferrari's morning phone in on LBC a couple of weeks back at the height of the conflict & one caller came on & was angry at one video he'd seen, after being directed to via his various connections on social media. 

The caller urged Ferrari & listeners to seek out the video & see for themselves the brutally of one particular Israeli Defence Force (IDF) operative, kneeling on the lifeless body of a small Palestinian child he'd just killed.   Ferrari said he couldn't & wouldn't comment on the video he'd not seen. 

About 15 mins later, Ferrari did comment.  He'd had one of his production staff fact check the validity of the video.  It turned out it was a Chilian soldier.  The caller & the rest of the show's listeners were put right but it makes you think how many people are still out there who weren't listening to this particular programme & still believe this nonsense & are still sharing it as fact? 

Clearly the original caller was duped. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-chile-arrest-idUSKBN24B2RI

But there's plenty of fake information, spread by protagonists from both sides. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/57111293

Remember the old saying, 'A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots.' 

Edited by Baron99

Nobody should be under any delusions, that the Media is without bias.

They have increasingly become (self admittedly) "advocates", with a political point of view.

This is perfectly understandable, as they usually have a dog in the race.

One shouldn't expect government organs like BBC, CBC, PBS, NPR et al, to be anything but contemptuous of conservative politicians and their policies, which include defunding or even eliminating them altogether.

As for truth in the Media, the late left wing NPR/ABC "journalist" icon Cokie Roberts put it well.

When asked why the US Mainstream Media spent 4 years flogging a phony "Russian Collusion" conspiracy theory against Trump, she said. "It doesn't matter whether if it is true or not, if people are talking about it, it is news".  Smart lady!

Reminiscent of earlier attempts to sabotage the candidacy of G.W. Bush.

The Guardian

"CBS apologises for 'mistaken' story of Bush's military service"
Suzanne Goldenberg in New York, Tue 21 Sep 2004 16.49 BST

"CBS television issued a humbling apology yesterday for a report on an investigative programme, saying that its story claiming that George Bush had been given special treatment during his stint in the Texas air national guard was deeply flawed and should not have gone on air.

It abruptly changed course after days of expressing confidence in the report on 60 Minutes, which relied heavily on four memos purportedly written by a now dead commander in the guard to show that Mr Bush received special treatment during his military service.

"Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are authentic, which is the only acceptable journalistic standard to justify using them in the report," a statement by the president of CBS News, Andrew Heyward, said.

Dan Rather, the anchorman who presented the story and defended it for nearly two weeks, issued a separate apology.

"We" made a "mistake" in judgment and for that I am sorry," he said".

In context, the main document, was a letter purportedly written by Bush's commanding officer. The implication is that Bush was AWOL.

When released to the public, it was obvious that it could be exactly duplicated using MS Word, with all it's attributes, not on any air force typewriter circa 1972.

The controversy MEMOGATE "exploded" in the Media, in the weeks before the 2004 election. Conveniently. Lol

Rather continued to defend his reporting and remained with CBS until 2006, when he was abruptly fired. In September 2007, Rather filed a $70 million lawsuit against CBS and its former parent company Viacom.

He lost!

In truth, Bush was certified and qualified, and flew fighter jets solo.  In documents that could be authenticated, the dead man who they purported  to claim Bush was AWOL, (Killian) actually said this about Bush:

"In November 1970, Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian, commander of the 111th Fighter Squadron, recommended that Bush be promoted to first lieutenant, calling him "a dynamic outstanding young officer" who stood out as "a top-notch fighter interceptor pilot." He said that "Lt. Bush's skills far exceed his contemporaries," and that "he is a natural leader whom his contemporaries look to for leadership. Lt. Bush is also a good follower with outstanding disciplinary traits and an impeccable military bearing." Bush was promoted.[5]"  WIKI

My only problem with Media is their claim to be unbiased and arbiters of the truth.

That's The Big Lie!

Edited by trastrick

B'Tselem ( https://www.btselem.org/about_btselem ) appear to be a good and seemingly reliable source of information on one aspect of the Israeli-Palestinian entanglement. By all means check their bona fides on wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B'Tselem ). Be aware: they are not a holistic source of information rather they describe themselves as "The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories".

And yes, yes before some of you are tempted to repeat yourself, I did hear your message of 'Israeli good, Palestinian bad' the first 23 times you asserted it.

Guest makapaka

Fascinating how loads of people think they’re experts about this - now they think it’s been simplified into right v left.

mugs.

Edited by makapaka