Photo Id To Vote - Voter Suppression Or Election Fraud Prevention?

32 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Is that normal practice once you get to 2000? Gosh, I better not get there too quickly.

Don't worry, as of about half an hour ago you're on 167, so you have 1833 left :D 

Not that post counts are actually important or anything :suspect: 

Edited by Mr Allen
More detail.

2 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

So after 15 pages, we still can't decide on what voters are being oppressed. If any. Just a lot of whataboutisms.

The only people being oppressed will be the people who are choosing to be oppressed, i.e. those choosing not to apply for the free ID for whatever reason. Off the top of my head the only reasons I can think of are:

- they arent bothered about voting and no doubt didn't vote in the first place

- they are criminals and want to stay under the radar

- they will apply for a postal vote instead to circumvent the need to apply

- they wear tin foil on their heads.

Edited by HeHasRisen

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Whyever should ID items already in circulation not be produced by a person seeking to vote?

Just try going to your bank branch (yes, unlikely, as most have closed-down) and seeking services without any ID items!

Or even seeking just about any online service without having to prove who you are and your home address.

No new national ID card ought to be needed.

Good point. Perhaps those 750 were fraudsters.

My point was that most people living in the trials area who did not have photo ID clearly would not have turned up in the first place, and those who forgot about the trial and didn't return couldn't  as they simply didn't have it.

There are many of us living quite happily without ID cards/photo ID of any format, yet still being able to access the complete range of bank services via our credit and debit cards.

As others have noted, this whole idea is simply trying to fix a problem that simply does not exist.

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The only people being oppressed will be the people who are choosing to be oppressed, i.e. those choosing not to apply for the free ID for whatever reason. Off the top of my head the only reasons I can think of are:

- they arent bothered about voting and no doubt didn't vote in the first place

- they are criminals and want to stay under the radar

- they will apply for a postal vote instead to circumvent the need to apply

- they wear tin foil on their heads.

Voting by text message or email would be great, but more people voting is the opposite of what they are trying to do.

I get your point, that if people really wanted to vote they would. But if I recall rain and bad weather is bad news for Labour and voter turnout in general.

6 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

There are many of us living quite happily without ID cards/photo ID of any format, yet still being able to access the complete range of bank services via our credit and debit cards.

But one cannot obtain such cards- or any bank account, in fact- without proving one's ID.

Nor a passport; nor a driving licence; nor any sort of investment or credit facility.

Why should voting be different?

1 minute ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But one cannot obtain such cards- or any bank account, in fact- without proving one's ID.

Nor a passport; nor a driving licence; nor any sort of investment or credit facility.

ID requirements for those earlier things you mentioned were introduced after evidence of a significant amount of fraud was found.

There hasn't been evidence of anything other than occasional isolated incidents of in person voter impersonation fraud on the UK mainland. That's why there is no case for voter ID here.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

That sort of fraud could cost the companies involved thousands.

Which elections do you think have been swayed by the candidate paying people £xxxx for their vote?

The EU election showed the Tories getting 8.8% maybe they didnt do enough fraud and allowed the Brexit party rise up?

Or maybe the EU referendum, who in their right mind what vote leave  :)

13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

That sort of fraud could cost the companies involved thousands.

Which elections do you think have been swayed by the candidate paying people £xxxx for their vote?

The EU election showed the Tories getting 8.8% maybe they didnt do enough fraud and allowed the Brexit party rise up?

Or maybe the EU referendum, who in their right mind what vote leave  :)

A lot of the leave vote was from racist fools with a BIG axe to grind against immigrants in Europe IMO.

5 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

A lot of the leave vote was from racist fools with a BIG axe to grind against immigrants in Europe IMO.

No it wasn't, although enough of it was xenophobic enough to make the difference between winning and losing. That's why both the leave campaigns focused on immigration so much.